MP270 via Profibus to 3rd party PLC?

DRL

Hi all!

I have a quick question which I couldn't really find a definitive answer for in the manuals and faq's on the siemens site:

Is it possible to connect a MP270 via Profibus to a 3rd party PLC (which is not listed in the manuals under "communication"). It is a PLC of make Kongsberg. The only reference I could find to using other PLC's than the ones mentioned in the manual was by using OPC connection over ethernet...

Regards,
Andreas

Hei Andreas.

I think it is impossible to connect via Profibus to the Kongsberg PLC from a MP panel.

Consider to switch to a panel PC, and then use an OPC server that can connect directly to the Kongsberg PLC. I think you can forget Profibus - it is possible, but it will not be pretty. Much better would be to connect via a port on the PLC that is intended for a HMI. Try to investigate what ports and protocols apart from Profibus are available.

edit:
Do you have a link to the Kongsberg PLC ?

Last edited:
Hei Jesper,
Thanks for helping me out again 🍻
Was afraid that would be the answer, will have to check up what is available on that PLC. The funny thing is that someone "high up" has decided that we would not be programming the plc ourselves, but we have to program the HMI using our standard panel+software.. Makes for some interesting meetings atleast :ROFLMAO:

Regards,
Andreas

The type of PLC is a RCU 501. I couldn't find a link to any serious documentation, but this brochure for the rcu500 would give an indication:
http://www.simrad.com/KS/WEB/NOKBG0397.nsf/AllWeb/C3FCEDFB6694EBD3C1256F33003358B6/$file/177289b.pdf?OpenElement

The Ethernet connection is already used for connection from the PLC to the SAS system (this project is for a firewaterpump), and they don't want any "outside" HMI-panel to have access to this system. I see they also have some "general purpose serial lines" though I do not know what kind of communication is supported via these.

Regards,
Andreas

1. I would contact Kongsberg and ask if they have an OPC server that you can use.

2. If you cannot connect via one of the serial ports, then try to suggest that they handle safety issues via a managed ethernet switch - so that your HMI is granted access to the rcu500 only.

3. As the last resort, you can use Profibus DP. But it will be far less flexible than you are used to.

I have yet to recieve a definitive answer on this issue from Kongsberg, and meantime my project managers are asking for a detailed explanation on why we cannot (or should not) utilize profibus for this connection. I've told them it would be "difficult if not impossible to set this up", but so far they are not satisfied with this answer.

The software we are using to program our panels are WinCC Flexible. I can't find an option to set up a custom connection there, there is just a list of supported PLC's and the connection types they support.

How would one go about creating a custom profibus connection? Jesper, you mentioned this could be used as a last resort, so I am only looking into it to see just how difficult this would be, but I am at a loss as to where to even begin o_O
I guess that just goes to show that it would indeed be difficult :D

Thanks again for your help so far.

You cannot use one of the direct drivers in WinCC Flexible. "Profibus DP slave" is simply not a selectable driver.
In stead, I think it is possible to go via OPC.
You can setup an OPC Server in a "PC Station" running together with a WinCC Flexible PC RT.

There is a serious catch. Siemens documentation only have examples with an S7 PLC as the master, not a 3rd part PLC.
Check this FAQ out how to do it (it uses the idiotic wizard, I can help you better if you have to go this way):
http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/view/en/16650883
Notice that it says "Since the DP-Slave has not been assigned to a DP-Master at this stage of the proceedings, the following message appears when compiling the PC-Station. [inconsistent data]". In other words you cannot cmpile the PC Station project until an S7 Profibus master has beeen assigned.
So, to setup a Kongsberg PLC as the master, I am gambling that it is possible to setup a dummy S7 PLC as the master in your PC Station project, and then hope it works with the Kongsberg PLC.

edit:
Try to contact Kongsberg and ask them if they have an OPC server that connects to the PLC via one of the serial ports.

Last edited: