changing vmemory

plc noob

guy's

can vmemory be changed in direct logic plc's . to hold numbers other than bcd . i know that you can view numbers in other formats in data view and write singed integer and such into a data view and view it in that form . but it does not seem like it will hold another number format . such as if i change v2000 to singed integer in directsoft and set my hmi tag to single word signed integer . i get a vastly different number .

The value you may see in a ladder rung will always be BCD/hex. You must view the V memory with the data view or a data window to see it as 'decimal'.

If you are trying to enter negative numbeers from the display then you have a whole other problem.

For further troubleshooting please give a few examples of what is entered from the display and what you see in the program. Please mention how you are viewing it.

Depends on the HMI , or dde/opc server how you do it but you can have the server read it in different formats.
I think dsdata used V2000:b to read/write a BCD as signed decimal
With KEPserver you select the datatype when you create the tag.

If, on the other hand you are using a command in the PLC to convert a BCD to signed int then you set your hmi tag to the same it may be converting it again.
what HMI and server are you using?

You still have not provided much specific information. I am curious how you change V2000 to 'signed integer'? Exactly what operations have the name 'signed integer'?

You can change how you view a memory location. None, other than REAL, have any concept of sign (positive/negative).

If you set a display, like the CMore, to signed integer it will write that type of information but you will not see a negative number (except for a REAL) displayed with a negative sign.

So, for us to help, we need examples as I described before.

in cmore you have these tag options

discrete
signed integer 16 bit
signed integer 32 bit
unsigned integer 16 bit
unsigned integer 32 bit
bcd integer 16 bit
bcd integer 32 bit
floating point 32
ascii string

Change the cmore tag to bcd 16 bit , that is how the number is actually stored unless you use a conversion block in the ladder.

it is a little confusing until you get used to it.
One easy way to see the differences is to create multiple tags with the same address and different tag options.
ie, keep your tag and add another v2000 with bcd and view them at the same time