RSView SE Patch Rollup

Macca

G'Day All,

I have had an RSView SE (4.00 CP7) application under development and running live for the past 9 months. Last week after applying the Jan 08 Patch Rollup (we had been running under May 07 patch) ,and no other edits, the graphics on all screens in particular multistate objects appeared corrupt i.e. diplaying several states at any one time. After lengthy discussions with RA support the workaround was to change the display setting for each screen from "Scale" to "Pan". This worked but is not a suitable long term fix as the displays no longer scale themselves to the client screen or if resizing an "On Top" screen there is no scaling of the graphic. Any ideas would be appreciated, cheers Macca

No help coming from me, just a couple of thoughts.

Uninstall RSView SE (4.00 CPR7) then reinstall with the new rollup patch.

or
Upgrade to RSView SE (5.00 CPR 9)

Best of luck

Yeah, if the vendor tech support told you to do something that hosed you up, in response to a specific question about their product, you're not likely to get a better technical answer to the question here.

What's the problem with reverting to the May 7th patch?

Do they recognize your issue as a known bug that will get fixed?

surferb said:
What's the problem with reverting to the May 7th patch?

Do they recognize your issue as a known bug that will get fixed?

I have to agree! we are running Cpr 7 with two patches
we do not roll out any patches until it has been tested on a test platform!
We have in the past and each time we rolled out new patches we would have Major issues!

I would go back to the vendor and get a solution for this

Thanks All,

I think you have confirmed my thoughts GIL47, and according to Rockwell thats our next move - but moving up to V5 CPR9 what other headaches will that bring - has anyone done this yet and what was the result.

Surferb - yes they do recognise the problem, but all beware, rolling back to previous patches has a miriad of issues, a lot of the activeX objects have been updated in the latest patches (such as trends) so when you roll back you then have to get the older version(s) and update all the pages that contain the object (more work and less time for play)

AutomationSteve - When all else fails use a BIGGER Hammer (y) - best advice I have had so far.

I would really like to hear from some-one who has moved from V4 to V5 and know their experience.

Cheers from Down Under
Macca

If at all possible and i would have a 2nd set of servers do a fresh install of cpr9 insead of an upgrade that way the plant cant still run and you cant test cpr9 and slowly bring you clients up to cpr9 you will not be so rushed

This does you no good now, but my thoughts on RSView SE. Once you get it working, ghost the machine, and do not let anyone make any changes to windows updates or SE updates. If it works it works, messing with it can be bad news!

(Edit)
No one can stay at one rev forever because the world moves forward, but if you backup the hard drive, then you can always reload what you had before and get to where you started the upgrade. Never change a working system without being able to reload what worked before the change! Hope you get it working well soon!

Last edited:
Poor (smart) man's approach is virtualization. Da future is now - and it's VMWare (or other similar products). Ghost works pretty good too (thanks jtn).

I don't understand why you can't reinstall an old version (not "downgrade"). Didn't you do a backup prior to upgrading?

AutomationSteve said:
If at all possible and i would have a 2nd set of servers do a fresh install of cpr9 insead of an upgrade that way the plant cant still run and you cant test cpr9 and slowly bring you clients up to cpr9 you will not be so rushed

When we do windows patches or even Se patches we always take a Ghost of the Hdd incase the patches fall over of course we know that never happenes hahaha to remove the patches and reinstall the same version back you have to wipe the server out and reload the os. but if you have downtime concerns i would suggest again building a seprate set of servers! ghost before you install SE and before you put the current patches on I have been biten a few time the plant i work at runs 24/7 and we have to be inventive as to when and how we do patches. We are also looking at a new software (name excapes me) where you run purchase 2 server 3 windows lic 1 rockwell lic from what i am understanding we both server works as 1 and feeds out the screens and data if one server fails the other takes up running the clients never knows one has failed

Smart way to go - or you could just use an application that has a simple, easy to restore backup/recovery process that won't hose you like that.

Your SCADA package installation/recovery process should be quick and easy - more like installing Winzip, as opposed to a system infastructure install (like an MS Exchange Server forest) that has to mess with a significant number of system files. It's rediculous, there's no good reason and it introduces a huge number of independent external points of failure.

AutomationSteve said:
When we do windows patches or even Se patches we always take a Ghost of the Hdd incase the patches fall over of course we know that never happenes hahaha to remove the patches and reinstall the same version back you have to wipe the server out and reload the os. but if you have downtime concerns i would suggest again building a seprate set of servers! ghost before you install SE and before you put the current patches on I have been biten a few time the plant i work at runs 24/7 and we have to be inventive as to when and how we do patches. We are also looking at a new software (name excapes me) where you run purchase 2 server 3 windows lic 1 rockwell lic from what i am understanding we both server works as 1 and feeds out the screens and data if one server fails the other takes up running the clients never knows one has failed

Last edited: