AB PanelView Plus / VersaView CE ?

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi all,

have anybody heard something about the new Panelview Plus (or VersaView CE) line of HMI panels from AB ? There are some marketing blasts on AB's site - but very little with substance.
There is nothing in the product directory. but a little in the manuals section.

Is "Panelview Plus" the same as "VersaView CE" ?
Heard anything about the prices ?
Are they released yet, or going to be released ?

Its been two years since I first heard about the PanelView Plus, but since then the news have been coming like drip - drip - drip (little and very slowly).

I saw them a couple of weeks ago at an automation fair in Sydney.
As far as I know they are different, panelview plus does not allow access to the operating system, it is just a greatly enhanced panelview style product. Versaview CE can allow other programs to run via the CE operating system. Both are programmed with RSView studio.
If I am wrong on any of this I know Ken will correct me.
Pricewise I think the panelview plus is just cheaper than what it replaces, for screen size.
Regards Alan Case

Dont know much yet!

Jes,

Just ordered my first one (will be at my office in one more week). What I do know is that just like Alan says, it is less expensive. In comparison, where a 10" DH+ PanelView used to cost almost $4,000, the new PV+ now costs around $2,900 (add $300 for a DH+ com card). Both of these are OEM prices. They do come standard with RS232 and ethernet connections.

The graphics, from what I have seen look better and from what little I have studied up on RSView ME (Machine Edition) there seems to be more functionality then that of PanelBuilder.

I will update soon cause as soon as I get the PV+ I have only a week to get it out the door to a customer.

Hope it helps somewhat,
Chris

One More Thing!

If you decide to explore this and get one, make sure that the first one you order is a starter kit. You will essentially get the RSView ME edition and programming cable for free. From what I told by my supplier is that this is over a $600.00 value.

Regards,
Chris

The starter kit is actually cheaper than the PV+ by itself. I just ordered a 15" PV+ starter kit for around 4700. Less than the 15" PV+ was by itself. The Vesaview system is an industrial PC. It might come with windows CE, but is perfectly capable of running windows 2000 as well (the versaveiw CE and versaview 2000 differ only in the OS). The versaviews are also cheaper than the PV+ line. The PV+ line is far supieror to the old PV line. They, more or less, give you most of the basic RSView functionality in an panelview package.

If you dig through ABs website for the "The View" magazine, they have some articles on it there.

Thanks all,

Mathias,
yes I did see the View magazine. There was more than 1½ years between the last two issues, so it seemed for a long time like AB had gone to sleep.

I have to make a call to my AB distributor. I just ordered a Pv+ 700 and RSView ME. The only deal was that I got the RSView for half price because I owned PanelBuilder. Maybe because I only orderd a 700.

I just installed the RSView. You can import PV apps, but they don't look very good. I would think that you would want to start over with native stuff.

Got a lot of reading to do, the manual is 900 pages. .pdf only.

Yea, you have to ask for the kit, they dont tell you about it. We had ordered our stuff, and the rep did not bother to tell me about the kit. I found out about it, and then they told me it would save me nearly 2000 bucks. Wasnt too happy with them. Especially since it was our customer who informed my that they were getting a better price than me, and we literally do 500x the buisness with AB than they do.

The view volume 3, issue 1 is dated FEB 2003. You really cant go wrong with the PV+ over the PV. They are supieror in every way, and cost less (for the color models at least).

Matthias,

I'm quite frankly shocked that your supplier did not inform you of the starter kit! My supplier has been "chomping at the bit" to sell the PV+ and has been doing everything they can to get myself and others to try PV+ line (including making a case for the starter kit!).

I would make a "stink" if necessary with your supplier.

Good Luck,
Chris

Oh, I did. ;)
They already knew we were going to use the PV+ line, so they had little incentive to offer up the kit. Thats what I think at least. That, or they dont do a very good job keeping up with thier product line.

I got them to credit my account the difference and send me the serial cable.

I just got info on a seminar regarding the ViewAnywhere package.

Here is what I got.

view.jpg