Panelview Plus Question

blmccallum

I have several extra PanelView Plus 600 terminals that I'm trying to find uses for. They all have Ethernet communication but I have a question about the RS232 port. Can it be used to communicate with a MicroLogix PLC or is it only for programming/printing?

PV+ 600 Cat. Number: 2711P-T6C2D

I haven't tried it yet, but I would like to avoid using an ENI module if possible.

Thanks.

I'm no expert, but as far as I can tell, the RS-232 port is ONLY for programming - or for connecting a printer ...

the main reason I posted was to ask if you want to get rid of one of those? ... I'm in the market for a used one for my lab ... I'd really rather have a 120 volt model - but would consider a DC model if the price is right ... send me a PM if you're interested ...

Ron,

All of the PV+s are capable of serial RX TX, stock. There are numerous add-on packages for other types, ie DH+, RIO etc.
You can definately use the PV+600 with the ML's.

On the PanelView Plus, the RS232 serial port is more functional than it is on the Standard units.

If you load an RSLinx Enterprise DF1 driver, you can upload/download through that port, as well as use it to communicate with any A-B controller.

If you load a Kepware driver, the serial port can run any of the KepServer Enterprise serial drivers, the most popular of which is Modbus RTU.

The only way to use the serial port on a PanelView as a printer port, in fact, is to run the KepServer "User Configurable" driver, which I have not had as much success with as I would like.

It works.

Thanks guys. I put together a test program and tried using the RS-232 port. After some configuration changes it communicated with the PLC perfectly.

The manual wasn't very clear on the functionality of the RS232 port so I figured I'd check with you guys before banging my head against the wall.

Thanks again!