RSLOGIX & WINDOWS VISTA

porky

Hi all

Been a long time since I visited this site, its sad to hear about Rsdoran passing away.

My question ... I was wondering if Windows vista works well with RSLogix ... has anyone had any problems ?? or are they compatilble ?

Many Thanks

I think Rslogix is not compatible with Windows Vista...
I tried by changing "compatiblity option in vista ", but i cant...so i installed windows XP...
in Xp there is no problem...

Perhaps. Would you agree that both share some of the load to develop firmware/ software that is compatible in a market that is dominated by one more than the other? When M$ decides to take their product line in a totally different direction with so much investment by the end user, does it not sound reasonable that there be some collaboration with manufacturers of products that are based on the previous operating system to make a smooth transition to the new system? Or is it better to do what you want, when you want just because you can and the alternatives are limited. I kind of see where Nathan comes from when he talks about open source now. But what do I know. I'm just the end user paying to keep up with things that are moving out of my control.
Smarter people than me make all the big decisions. Or at least people with deeper pockets. Just my 2 cents.
Sorry about stepping on this post. Bad form on my part.

It's the responsibility of the vendor to decide if they want to support a particular operating system. Deciding not to, as with Vista after it's been officially released for over a year, can create adverse affects with one's customers. Not supporting Linux, for example, doesn't seem to bother most automation companies.

However, Microsoft customers purchase their software with a certain expectation of backward compatibility. It's a sticky issue since they have the market so dominated - for example, the US government isn't supposed to specify brands with purchases - they've decided that Microsoft has superseded that notion and is now a standard. But even Microsoft has to listen to its customers at some point. I've read all over the place that, overall, Vista hasn't been well received and hasn't sold the numbers that they expected. That said, it's pretty dominant and MS can do what they want.

So in the end, it's in Microsoft's best interests to make backward compatibility easy for vendors. I know/think the following support Vista: Wonderware, Inductive Automation, Iconics, Citect (I think). I'm not sure about Siemens. If Rockwell's the only show in town that doesn't support Vista, that's bad for them. That said, I haven't heard anyone specifically recommend Vista over XP for industrial systems. (The new Iconics package may be an exception to this).

Open Source is a sweet thing, but for some reason sucks for our industry at this stage of the game. All it would take are a few good developers/projects to turn this around. Open source isn't really the answer to the Vista question, because we're most likely talking about open source projects that run on Windows, which would face the same problem of keeping updated for Vista

That said - Java is the bomb in terms of compatibility! The reason is that instead of code being compiled for a certain operating system, with changing libraries and dependencies to worry about, it's compiled for the fictitious Java Virtual Machine. Each operating system then runs it's own version of a Java Runtime Engine. Sun's on top of the project, which is open source. But really, since Java is such a HUGE CUSTOMER, nobody would want to come out with a serious operating system without Java support. So in the end, your program magically works on any MS operating system, Macs, Linux, etc. A side effect is that you don't get the benefit or bloat of hundreds of thousands of lines of code that MS will let you access.

You're right - people with deeper pockets make these decisions. But it's because the little guys like you and me support it.

craig_avanzar said:
Perhaps. Would you agree that both share some of the load to develop firmware/ software that is compatible in a market that is dominated by one more than the other? When M$ decides to take their product line in a totally different direction with so much investment by the end user, does it not sound reasonable that there be some collaboration with manufacturers of products that are based on the previous operating system to make a smooth transition to the new system? Or is it better to do what you want, when you want just because you can and the alternatives are limited. I kind of see where Nathan comes from when he talks about open source now. But what do I know. I'm just the end user paying to keep up with things that are moving out of my control.
Smarter people than me make all the big decisions. Or at least people with deeper pockets. Just my 2 cents.
Sorry about stepping on this post. Bad form on my part.

surferb said:
...However, Microsoft customers purchase their software with a certain expectation of backward compatibility. It's a sticky issue since they have the market so dominated - for example, the US government isn't supposed to specify brands with purchases

I have a cure for that. Pass international laws that state that any OS that attains > 51% market share become public domain.

Of course that will happen right after they pass that other brilliant legal idea of mine: "All new laws must result in the reduction or simplification of existing laws."

Anyway if something like that were to occur in the name of free enterprise and competition, it would build an incentive into the market so that there will be at least two or more widely supported and standardized operating systems or virtual layers, and improve cooperation amongst OS suppliers.

Kinda like snap-on sockets fit on my craftsman ratchet.

surferb said:
...That said - Java is the bomb in terms of compatibility!...

Sounds like the one I need to learn next, possibly?
surferb said:
...it's compiled for the fictitious Java Virtual Machine.

To me that is an old concept that just keeps changing. The idea of having hardware specific drivers running a generic interface is always going to be evolving.

But this part strikes a pleasant chord with me:
surferb said:
A side effect is that you don't get the benefit or bloat of hundreds of thousands of lines of code that MS will let you access.
Sometimes, I just wanna pop open a window and have control of all the pixels and the rest of the PC hardware, then go to work with a simple, efficient application development tool set that can do whatever my mind can conceive.

Is Java that tool?

Paul

Last edited:
I can appreciate the sentiment of what you're saying, although is has a better fit in our hearts than reality. You know, the wouldn't it be nice kind of dreams...

OkiePC said:
I have a cure for that. Pass international laws that state that any OS that attains > 51% market share become public domain.

Of course that will happen right after they pass that other brilliant legal idea of mine: "All new laws must result in the reduction or simplification of existing laws."

Anyway if something like that were to occur in the name of free enterprise and competition, it would build an incentive into the market so that there will be at least two or more widely supported and standardized operating systems or virtual layers, and improve cooperation amongst OS suppliers.

I like that analogy - Java runs on different platforms like the different sized sockets fit on your driver.

It may be a bit much to learn as your "playing" environment. It's more of a software development environment like C++, VB.NET, etc. You'd probably get a lot more bang for your buck with scripting languagues like Python, Ruby, PHP, etc. That said, if you're willing to commit some time into it, and really want to be able to create "what your mind can conceive", you can do some pretty cool things with Java. It has the added benefit of awesome Open Source resources to back you up. For example, Netbeans or Eclipse are incredible IDEs. There's a lot of projects that you could use for free that range from graphs, to reports, to calendars, to drivers, to whatever you can imagine. All that said, for "most people" it's much easier to take advantage of this stuff as a user. Download Open Office, install it, and you'll see that open source projects are useful too.

So Java as a programming language may or may not be that tool for you. If you need a full fledged, general purpose programming language, Java offers compelling advantages.

OkiePC said:
Kinda like snap-on sockets fit on my craftsman ratchets?

Sounds like the one I need to learn next, possibly?

To me that is an old concept that just keeps changing. The idea of having hardware specific drivers running a generic interface is always going to be evolving.

But this part strikes a pleasant chord with me:

Sometimes, I just wanna pop open a window and have control of all the pixels and the rest of the PC hardware, then go to work with a simple, efficient application development tool set that can do whatever my mind can conceive.

Is Java that tool?

I've got it working...

I've gotten RSLogix500, RSLogix5000, and RSLinx all working fine on several Vista laptops. The trick is installing & running as an administrator and setting Windows 2000 compatibility (Windows XP compatibility mode does NOT work).

Setting Compatibility Mode & Run as Administrator privileges:
  1. Right-click the actual .exe file
  2. Click "Properties"
  3. In the Properties popup click the "Compatibility" tab
  4. Check the checkbox "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows 2000" from the drop-down list (XP does NOT work, I don't know why but it doesn't)
  5. Check the checkbox "Run this program as an administrator"
  6. Click "OK"
Several things to take into account:
  • After putting the Install CD in, CANCEL the installer that launches, browse to the CD, then set the Autorun.exe to Run as Admin & Win2000 compatibility
  • After installing browse to the installed directory and set compatibility & admin privileges for every .exe file, for example RSLinx has 9 .exe files
    (example: C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSLINX)
  • If after clicking on RSLinx nothing opens (assuming you've set all the .exe files for compatibility) then you need to open "Task Manager" and on the "Services" tab find "RSLinx" and stop it, then on the "Processes" tab sort it by name and see if RSLinx is list (it should be, you may have to click "Show processes from all users") select RSLinx and click "End Process". After all that RSLinx should open just fine, you will probably only have to go through this process once after install.
Hope this helps someone...

Malus said:
I've gotten RSLogix500, RSLogix5000, and RSLinx all working fine on several Vista laptops. The trick is installing & running as an administrator and setting Windows 2000 compatibility (Windows XP compatibility mode does NOT work).

Setting Compatibility Mode & Run as Administrator privileges:
  1. Right-click the actual .exe file
  2. Click "Properties"
  3. In the Properties popup click the "Compatibility" tab
  4. Check the checkbox "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows 2000" from the drop-down list (XP does NOT work, I don't know why but it doesn't)
  5. Check the checkbox "Run this program as an administrator"
  6. Click "OK"
Several things to take into account:
  • After putting the Install CD in, CANCEL the installer that launches, browse to the CD, then set the Autorun.exe to Run as Admin & Win2000 compatibility
  • After installing browse to the installed directory and set compatibility & admin privileges for every .exe file, for example RSLinx has 9 .exe files

(example: C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSLINX)
  • If after clicking on RSLinx nothing opens (assuming you've set all the .exe files for compatibility) then you need to open "Task Manager" and on the "Services" tab find "RSLinx" and stop it, then on the "Processes" tab sort it by name and see if RSLinx is list (it should be, you may have to click "Show processes from all users") select RSLinx and click "End Process". After all that RSLinx should open just fine, you will probably only have to go through this process once after install.
Hope this helps someone...

WOW. Nice to know.

Thanks

Oh Sweet!

I'm going to have to check this out at the weekend!
Thanks for taking the time to post that description, it must have taken some trial and error to figure it all out.