WinCC Flexible Password Example

CharlesM

We have had problems with passwords in WinCC Flexible. Here is an example from Siemens that could help.

http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/llisapi.dll?func=cslib.csinfo&lang=en&objid=24141925&caller=nl

Description:
If a user enters an incorrect password three times in succession, that user is entered in the "Unauthorized" group in the user administration. Only a user with administrator rights can reassign that user to a user group. How can you avoid "incorrect inputs"?

Somebody at Siemens seems to know that there is a serious problem with the way users becomes blocked. Hence this work-around that "fixes" part of the problem.
I would prefer that they really fixed it, i.e. we get to specify if users shall be locked out, or users do simply NOT get locked out.

I wonder if this fix is a recent addition. Ive had this problem before. I spent a lot of time on the phone to siemens untill I realised that the operators were being locked out after 3 incorrect password attempts(The operators just said it was broke). I just make sure I always use the user form now and add an additional user. then at least they can log back in and re-instate the other password

I 'discovered' this 'fix' in the 2005 edition.
We also had lots of problems. Operators saying it just 'broke' or something. Found out what really happens when I was reading through the help-files.
Since then we have implemented the UserView, have a second alarmpage hidden behind an unused button keeping track of system alarms. These include logging failures and Password 'mis-use'. Also made 2 fields on the overview so we can immediatly see wether the user is locked out.

Since we noticed it were the operators trying to use functions they shouldn't use, we made a big fuss over it. Now we rarely have a locked out user. (but if we have one, the wrong pass has been entered 20+ times in succession)

Blocked users in WinCC Flex

I experienced the issue also, after tree times wrong password, the user gets locked out. More anoying seems that when a user is locked out (transfered to the 'unauthorised group'), and you power of the panel (MP277) that afterwards also the other users are blocked.
I have tested this multiple times, and it is consistent.
Is there no other solution in that case then downloading again?

Configure a button that requires password with the text "save users and passwords" and the function "ExportImportUserAdministration (direction export)"
Configure another button that does not require password with the text "restore users and passwords" and the function to "unhide" another button with the text "confirm" and the function "ExportImportUserAdministration (direction import)".
It is then possible to save all users and passwords, and then restore them again in case they are lost.
There must be an MMC card in the panel for this function to work.