Multiple Alarm Lines in RSView32

Erik vdH

I have an application here than uses analog alarms in RSView32. It uses multiple thresholds to trigger different alarms (e.g. LL, L, H and HH). During a recent shutdown, lots of values are in alarm which is OK. There seem to be lots of the same tag in alarm the summary sheet though. I thought when you ackowldge all only one should remain? I end up with lots of the same alarm filling up the alarm summary screen, even though they are all ackowlegded. Any suggestions?

If your Alarm Log is set up to log all alarms, then it will. You can control WHICH ones get logged by setting (in RSView32 Works) "Alarms, Alarm Setup, Severities".

If under "Select Severity", you select "Acknowledged", then turn off the check box next to "Log to Alarm Log File", then no acknowledged alarms will be logged. If you want certain ones to still be logged, then set those to a different severity level, and turn on logging for that Severity Level.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. The steps you mention relate to what gets logged in the alarm log file. This is not my concern. I am referring to the fact that it loggs multiple times in the alarm summary page. If a tag has a HH,H,L,LL setpoints, and the value hovers though the LL point several times (even with deadband) each time you get another line to say it is in LL, and they all stay there even when you acknowledge them. This can fill up the whole screen. They do all clear once the tag does back into a valid range >L but <H.

Check the "Filter" property of the alarm summary object. This is found under the "Data" menu. The summary filter gives you the option of displaying alarms that are "Out of Alarm".

This is what I do to trigger the alarm tag once only.

Little trick here. in PLC Only set the Tag/PLC alarm bit once and ignore the L or H when LL or HH alarm is on, ether use expression in Rsview or PLC logic,

As well, latch the HH/LL alarm bit in PLC, the latched bit will trigger alarm tag once in RsView. Unlatch the LL/HH PLC alarm bit when analog back in normal level or alarm reset button.

Thanks Mpoon.

I use the analog alarms in RSView to get away from having to write the alarm detection and other tricks in the PLC or in expressions. I'd prefer to use the features build into the SCADA package. In this case through RSView32 seems to be doing something which it shouldn't and I was hoping to find out if there was somethin 'feature' I missed.

The 'out of alarm' tick box doesn't work either Brownhat because the tag is still actually in alarm - the problem is is keeps on adding extra lines in the alarm summary when it goes through other analog thresholds.....

I use the analog alarms in RSView to get away from having to write the alarm detection and other tricks in the PLC or in expressions. I'd prefer to use the features build into the SCADA package.
Then you are stuck with someone's idea of what an alarm should do. I never allow RSView to control this important function. I like the complete control that PLC-controled alarms provide. I create a separte Alarm Screen, with PLC-contorlled tags and an alarm description in flashing text for currrently alarming devices. The Alarm Summary screen is then only used for what it was designed for--a record of all alarms, regardless of frequency of occurance. The operators rarely even use it, preferring the graphic screen that shows only current problems.

If on the Alarm Summary, you set "Data, Filter" to "Only show tags currently in alarm", it should be close to what you want. If you insist on using the RSView alarm function, you still will get some duplicates of same tag for High and High High, but the ones not in alarm mode will disappear.

To get only ONE alarm for each device, regardless of all permutations of L,LL,H,HH, and so on, BUT still not have to create an overall PLC tag for "All Alarms for Tag XXX", then you would have to create some additional INTERNAL RSView tags, so that for Device XXX, then define Internal Tag XXX = Alarm L + ALarm LL + Alarm H + Alarm HH. Then only show Tag XXX on a new alarm screen, not all the other alarm conditions.

You can create as many internal RSVIew tags as you want, without adding to the tag count.

Last edited: