Upgrading iFix7.0 on NT to Windows XP?

RPax

Hi, I was wondering if you could get some advice. I current have a standalone iFix 32 SCADA System. We are running the iFix 7.0 (build 112) on a windows NT 4.0 system with the appropriate doggle.

We had also a spare SCADA system set up in the same manner and has bought a spare doggle (GE Fanuc 100167413 FIX for Ver 7.0 NT) for this also.

We are now planning to upgrade our computer system and I am wondering what is the best way to go about this?? If we move away from windows NT are our doggles then obsolete? Is there anyway of Upgrading the doggles if we move to Windows XP etc?? Do I have to buy new software for this?? Would I have to redo all the software again?. To be honest a bit lost on where to begin.

I was wondering if someone could quide me in the right direction or have a tech note etc on this. Not really similiar with this product. Appreciate your input on this. Thanks - Rpax

RPax said:
Hi, I was wondering if you could get some advice. I current have a standalone iFix 32 SCADA System. We are running the iFix 7.0 (build 112) on a windows NT 4.0 system with the appropriate doggle.

We had also a spare SCADA system set up in the same manner and has bought a spare doggle (GE Fanuc 100167413 FIX for Ver 7.0 NT) for this also.

We are now planning to upgrade our computer system and I am wondering what is the best way to go about this?? If we move away from windows NT are our doggles then obsolete? Is there anyway of Upgrading the doggles if we move to Windows XP etc?? Do I have to buy new software for this?? Would I have to redo all the software again?. To be honest a bit lost on where to begin.

I was wondering if someone could quide me in the right direction or have a tech note etc on this. Not really similiar with this product. Appreciate your input on this. Thanks - Rpax

Since you are on NT, I would assume you have a parallel port dongle. The lastest versions of iFix use a USB dongle. I had an old Fix V6.2 that I had to move from an NT pc to an XP PC. I had to purchase the 'upgrade' package, ( $5000 CAD ) to get iFix and the USB dongle. Most newer PCs do not have a parallel port now.

I'll assume you mean FIX32 7.0. I have several systems running on Windows
XP without any problems what so ever. No need to upgrade anything.

Firstly lads thanks for the replies. So basically it could be possible to install iFix32 on any PC and use the NT dongle. Might try this, will let you know how it goes. Thanks again

If you are staying with the same version of Fix, you should have no problems with the dongle (assuming that the XP machine has a parallel port).

Its been about 4.5 years now but the only thing I see different is maybe your RSLinx ver. I used RSLinx Pro ver 2.43 or 2.42. ( I think?) And the latest FIX32 sims. Those computers where not connected to the internet ( outside world) so they never got windows updates and all that junk to mess up
your computer.

Last edited:
Shaun, would certainly appreciate if you can post as haven't started this project yet

I have done it several times- got a document written on how to do it
If you want I can send it to you
I am porting over FIX 7.0 Bld 112 from NT to XP. Generally everything looks good but the polling from the SLC 5/04 is not working right.
Maybe I have the wrong version of RS Links for the ABH driver?
I just copied over the original files into the new install of FIX, SIMS and all. Maybe one of the SIMS is not appropriate for XP?
I welcome any suggestions and would like to look at the instructions you offered to PPAX, the other forum member.
Regards, Amos

I was told by a GE Fanuc that I can use iFIX CD to install the ABH driver files that I have for FIX 32. The only way I could do this was by installing iFIX 'next' to FIX 32. The driver did get installed, but now FIX 32 is not booting up (it can't find a file). I will reinstall it FIX 32, but this seems not the right way to install this driver. I already looked all over the CD to find the driver install file, but did not succeed. If you have some experience with installing FIX 32 drivers or have the install file, I would appreciate some suggestions.

I know it may be a little defeatest but have you tried just moving it to windows 2000? as it may be a compatability issue with xp. Looking back at the work I did- it was on ver 6.14 of fix and xp sp1
Truth to be told it was always happier on w2k
- I think there is a way of forcible registering the service

try Start>Run> Regsvr32 then a space, and the DLL file name and press the Enter key,or click OK.

For example:-regsvr32 (Name of DLL).dll

You're running the OEM license for RsLinx? Cause we use the ABR driver here and it won't work w/out at least a Professional license if memory serves.