Alarming Practices (opinions)

kbradray

This site has taught me a lot viewing the opinions of all the knowledgeable and innovative people over the years. I am asking for any and all opinions again.

I have inherited a plant which has a very diverse grouping of Allen Bradley PLCs from SLC 150s, PLC2s, PLC5s, SLCs 5/05 02,03,04, ML 1100, 1000, 1500, 1200, and controllogix. I have been using various means to get them onto a plant network. I need to do external alarming (cell phone call, e-mail, etc.) for some of my processes. I would appreciate any opinions as to how to proceed. I have a ML1100 and a PV+ with Studio ME controlling a parts washer (conveyor, pumps and 3 zones). I need to alarm when monitored items get out of their limits. What I have to work with is as follows:

Software

RSLogix. 5, 500, 5000

RSViewME

RSLinx Guardian

Hardware

Controllogix bridge for my link from the business network to the PLC network. It has 1 slot available.

SLC 5/05 with Slots available

1761 NET ENIs

I have some VB6 experience if we need to go this route.

Please advise.

Ken

For a simple dialer I would look at Viking see this thread http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=24796

For other more advanced... Look at Redlion, I know that you can do a lot with there G3's (email, webpage, etc) that may be an option, I have not done this with RSView but I would think that it could, I have just heard that the Redlions are easy to do it and have built in webpages

We do all our alarm determination with debounce timers in the PLC's. Our HMI annunciates the alarms, controls the acknowlegement and the disabling. In addition, we have a selection of alarms that are paged. This is also controlled from the HMI.

When you set up your external alarming dont forget to provide some means for the remote operator to accept/acknowledge alarm the so that your process "knows" he/she has received the message. Then if your process has not recieved a response within a time limit it can escalate the alarm to a higher level if needed.

I recomend getting a Redlion data station (about £300) with that and a flash card you can run a website showing live data if you want an example PM me ,I've also used them to email which works very well .

For something quick and comparatively cheap, Matrikon has Matrikon Messenger. You can watch for a trigger value in the PLC (via OPC) and kick out an email. Most cell phones can be addressed so they receive the email as a text message these days.

Just another to consider.

TM

Web

We have a RedLion G3 on our plant business network. I have been talking with RedLion Technical trying to figure out how to use this from our business network through a controllogix bridge to our plant floor network. This would keep me from having to purchase more equipment.

Ken

I would have to agree and say redlion G3 or DataStation Plus is the way to go, used them quite a lot and they (& there support) are excellent.