Setting up RSview Clients on a Network

djpalaz

Hello,

Does anybody have information other than whats written in the user manual to setup an RSView Client. I can connect(attach to an existing HMI Server) using RSView Studio but when I try to run the client only I can't see the server. The HMI server is running on another computer.

G'Day

In the "Factory Talk" directories on both the server and client machine make sure you have included the client machine name on the server directory and the server machine name on the client machine directory. Also you need to ensure that on the client machine that the a HMI server of the same name is not running - if you have the project on the client machine and you have opened it up in Studio, a HMI server will be running on the client. I find it better if I dont install Studio on a client machine - can cause confusion.
Check that the HMI Server location -on the client machine(in Factory Talk Tools - "Specify Factory talk directory location") is pointing to your Server machine.
I must admit the User Manual is ambiguous in its information.

I believe its the same subnet, we are in development and we have just a few computers running RS Studio and RSView Clients. Where can I setup the Factory Talk network directory, is this the same as using the application Specify FactoryTalk Directory Location. We have this set correctly else we could not attach to an existing HMI server.

Where do you set the user previlages, I'm assuming this on the computer hosting the HMI server. Do you have further details to setup these previlages?

Where do you spefify the client machine on the server directory. We had it working where both RSView Studio and RSView clients were running on the same computer until we changed the name of the hosting computer.

djpalaz said:
Hello,

Does anybody have information other than whats written in the user manual to setup an RSView Client. I can connect(attach to an existing HMI Server) using RSView Studio but when I try to run the client only I can't see the server. The HMI server is running on another computer.
If you´re working as a workgroup all the computers must belong to the same workgroup, if a domain is used then the new user must be located on that domain.

G'Day

Question 1 - no its not, use the "factory talk administration console" - add computers and users and create user groups to include each of the users in i.e. administrators, operators engineers etc and assign system wide priviledges in this console. At this point your users do still not have priviledges in you actual application only to Factory Talk.
In RS Studio open your application and on the top toolbar go to tools and select RSView UserAccounts and then add individual users and or groups to the application, assign them security rights etc when you are doing this - then save. Its a pain in the arse and not well explained in the user manual.

Your other problem is that I still think that your client machine has a HMI Server running on it and when your client connects it is looking for the local HMI Server not your remote server.

Cheers from Oz