S5 comms and Eprom problems

jonno

Hi Guys

I wonder if there is somebody who may be able to shed a bit of light on a problem I have, I,ll try take you through the scenario of what has happened, It,s been nearly 11 years since I have had the pleasure to work with S5,s.....

We have just come to re-insert the processor a 943b into the rack after removing it due to flooding, everything was removed pre-flood.. upon powering up the processor blew and took out the power supply with it.. these have been replaced like for like and I have managed to reload the prog into the processor, along with the processor we have a serial interface unit 6es5 308 3ua12 connected to two et100u units, the interface has a eprom card 6es5 376 0aa11 normally with the address and rack config, I,ve managed to borrow a external Lpt prommer and have com et100 v2.1 software, s5 software is v6.3...

I,ve managed to set up the config and addressing for the remote racks but when i come to blow the eprom after selecting submodule type 56 it will download so much then stop with the message faulty module handling, check module.. it normally stops around about a035 (not sure what this is) I,ve tried to download to three seperate eproms but still get the same message... Could anybody point me in the correct direction as to what the possible cause could be, or has anybody had the same problem.. ?? could it be the case of 3 bad eprom cards ?

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in adavance

Jonno

Are you sure that you have selected the correct eprom module when trying to write to it.

I have had probs in the past due to selecting the wrong module type.
are they UV type eproms and have they been tottaly cleared before you try to write to them ?

Last edited:
Hi Kirso

Thanks for your prompt reply..

Yes they are uv eproms and I,ve had them under a uv lamp for times ranging from a minute to 25 minutes.. can,t be 100% sure they are fully erased as I can,t find anything in the comet100 software to check them..

The software only gives me two options to select for the eprom types just before you try to blow them, ours is the 6es5 376 oa11 with a sub setting of 59 I think...

Scratch head time...

what I did notice was after erasing the modules and trying to read them it comes up with no data... then after trying to blow them and re reading them it comes up with no et 100 unit !! so I think there is some data being written to them but not the full settings..

Kind Regards

John Vincent

I have just checked and the eproms you are using are 2 Kb eproms.

Is this enough for the program you are trying to save ?
Usually we use 16 or 32 Kb eproms.
I may be able to find an eprom at work if you dont have any larger ones to try.
We use an old pg 720 for eprom work with a built in eprom writer which gives the selection and info for the eprom.

Hi,

25mins erasure time seems a bit short to me...

An EPROM will require a UV exposure of a certain (n)Ws/cm2 depending on type to be fully erased.

With the old Siemens S5 UV erasers the timer was 30mins but after the UV lamp had aged sometimes a second application was required...I'd be tempted to try erasing for a bit longer..

**edit**
Ooops - cross posted with Jesper..

Ahhh .... the fond memories of past times. The office where us "electrics" ruled. The constant buzzing from the timer in the S5 Eprom eraser, always working to keep the Eproms ready when needed. The faint smell of ozone.
Those were the days ...... NOT !

Back to jonno.
Dont you think this is the perfect opportunity to ditch all S5 and start anew ? It may be easier and less expensive that you think.
I have done a couple of upgrade projects, and it went surprisingly smooth. If you are going this way, I may have some tips for you.

Guys

Many thanks for your posts..

Yeah back to the good old days jesper.. it,s been some time since i worked on this kit, I,m trying to get the company to update to a S7 as we speak, unfortunatley the companies equipment is all AB slc 5/03..:eek: so they would prefer as they say to stick with one supplier... would be far easier to go the S7 route and they would have the kit up and running alot quicker...

Kirso, The eproms I have are all 16kb, I,m starting to suspect the uv eraser is,nt working correctly... I,ve tried to erase two proms for about an hour and they seem to be accepting more data but not all of it.. Been trying all morning to locate a new uv eraser here in Nottingham but the kit is so old nobody stocks them anymore...

Kind Regards

john Vincent

Sorry for the false info ...
Found a link on siemens site tis morn that I,m sure said they were 2kb. But as usual cant find it again. (easy site Siemens LOL)

Just checked on the PG720 and can only find ref 6ES5376-OAA11
which comes up as prog no 56 but 8Kw. I suspect this to be Kword.(Not used it for a long while).
I remember there is option of burning to eprom in either word or byte, could this be the issue ?
If its of no help then ignore the rantings of an amatuer.

icon7.gif

Last edited:
Kirso

sometimes the rantings of a amature contain that little bit of info you require..:)

I,ve double checked the proms and they are defo 16kb but with same part number you have quoted.. ??

The comet 100 software does,nt give me the option to blow in word or byte.. I think that is only for the processor eproms but not 100% certain, I,m pretty sure it,s down to the erasing of the eproms, I have a uv unit from another site so am not sure on the type or hours of use it,s had.. The longer I leave the proms in the more data i can write to them...

Due to the amount of time the plant has been down we,ve bit the bullet and called in siemens support who will be here in the morning but as they say can,t be certain they will be able to do anything..o_O because the kit is so old and pretty much unsupported anymore...

Regards

Jonno

Hi Kirso

It turned out to be what I suspected, the uv eraser. Managed to get hold of a new uv tube and installed it, stuck the promms in for 10 minutes and hey presto was able to blow to them.. got it all done and the siemens guy turned up...!!!!

Jonno

kirso said:
I have just checked and the eproms you are using are 2 Kb eproms.

Is this enough for the program you are trying to save ?
Usually we use 16 or 32 Kb eproms.
I may be able to find an eprom at work if you dont have any larger ones to try.
We use an old pg 720 for eprom work with a built in eprom writer which gives the selection and info for the eprom.
When you are looking for a 32K prom type 6es5 375-old31 take a look in the used plc webshop www.***********.com they have serveral used siemens prom for a good price.