HELP PLEASE! Fanuc 90-30 lossing programs

heldhostage

We have numerous OEM GE Fanuc 90-30 processors that have lost their programs during extended power outages. I'm not that familiar with the Fanuc but I believe that dead backup batteries and leaking backplane batteries/backup capacitors are the cause. The OEM is no longer available causing complete equipment replacement.

Is there a way to copy the program to an eprom on the backplane or backup the program somehow to replace the backplane? Another supplier we use has the same 90-30 but it has an extra chip on the backplane and isn't affected by long power outages.

Thanks! I really need help!

The battery for the 90-30 is located in the power supply module. When battery voltage is low, the red LED on the power supply labeled "BATT" will be on.

There is an EEPROM option for the 90-30. The part number is IC693ACC305 for a package of four chips. The part number for the battery is IC693ACC301 for a package of 2.

Thanks Steve! I really appreciate your help. I've tried emailing GE numerous times but they don't even reply. With the EEprom option, will that store the program permanently on the chip and make it transferable to a new backplane? The backplanes I've examined have a little battery/capacitor that has leaked and, I believe, caused a short. Is this automatic or can I use the handheld to transfer it to the chip? The program is passworded, can I still move it to the chip or am I buggered?

Thanks again,

Owen

The PLC will have to be configured to load from EEPROM on powerup. Since you don't currently have an EEPROM installed it's a pretty safe bet you're not presently configured that way. The default configuration is to use the program and data in RAM. Simply installing an EEPROM chip and storing a program to it will not be enough. Depending on the type of password protection in place, you'll probably need the password to be able to make the configuration change.

You can use the handheld to transfer the program and data between the PLC's RAM memory and the EEPROM. Again, you may need to enter a password to get to a privilege level where this is allowed.

The manual for the handheld is GFK-0402. It is available for download from the GE Fanuc support website.

Thanks for the name of the manual, I think I have a much clearer picture now. I've tested one of the field units (250 or so out there!) and found that it is OEM passworded so no hope of getting into it. I also did tests on one and found that if the backplane cap was shorted it dragged the battery voltage (new battery) at the sram chips too low, about .92v after all the current limiting resistors, and this particular chip losses it's memory below 2v. Sooo I'm stuck with either soldering a battery straight to the chip if I need to try and replace the cap without losing the program, finding the original programmer somewhere on the planet or writing a program to test all the possible passwords (65530? or can they be only 1,2, or 3 digits as well?).

It doesn't look good. I met the programmer about 9 years ago and I recall we had an issue where we needed to make a very minor change. When I asked him about a password he laughed and told me that they were always random and he didn't keep any records of them - download or nothing! Ah well, if I try to find one password why not another 249 or so?

Anyways, I wanted to thank you again for all your help - you saved me many, many hours with some very good advise and if I can ask one last favour, which version of software would you recommend? All the units are at least 5 year old 90-30 units (no CPU module) and simpler is better for me. Or is there a protocol I can communicate directly to the Fanuc with?

Thanks again Steve, people like you restore my faith in humanity!

Apparently the original programmer must have thought his program was perfect. Without any records, he's locked up the program so even he can't change it. Do you have a backup copy of the program. Even though you can't view it or modify it, you could still download it to a new CPU/backplane. They aren't particularly expensive. A model IC693CPU311 carried a list price of US$205 about five years ago. That's the five-slot version.

Given the age of the system, I would guess that the program was originally written using Logicmaster software. That's the old DOS software. There have been two Windows versions. The first was called VersaPro. The current is called Proficy Machine Edition.

Check your private messages on this site.

Another option is to re-write or hire someone to do this for you. If they are all the same, the cost per unit may be worth this effort. Steve Bailley would be a good source for this too.