SLC 500 w/ Phoenix FLM I/O

Jason P

Wondering if anyone has used Phoenix Contact Fieldline IP67 I/O product with SLC 500. In specific the Analog modules which need to be configured using explicit messaging. Wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to create some sort of message block within my program rather then doing this via the Class Instance editor?

Any suggestions using Explicit messeging for dummies is appreciated.

I don't have any experience with this particular Phoenix product.

I presume it's connected to DeviceNet; is that the case ?

Can you provide a link to the documentation that describes the Class Instance Editor method ?

Is there an EDS file ?

Last edited:
Ow, my head. They really don't want to make it easy.

I found an EDS file that might be related to your devices. When registered with RSNetworx for DeviceNet software, this file shows a lot of configuration parameters for the Bus Coupler itself, but I don't see any for the attached analog modules.

First thing with the SLC and DeviceNet explicit messaging is to be sure you're running the Series C FRN 10 operating system on the SLC, which provides the "DeviceNet Explicit Message" (DEM) instruction. While DNet explicit messaging has been possible in the SLC for 10 years, the DEM really simplifies the coding.

There is a good "Introduction to Explicit Messaging" on the RA Knowledgebase in Document #16404.

Most modular I/O systems I have used on DeviceNet appear a whole lot simpler than the Phoenix FLM.