Stopper for counting machine

ckchew666

Hi guys,

I'm working on the design of the counting machine. The counting machine has a vibrator bowl. The count object is rounded (almost) seeds, size is around 35 - 40mm diameter. A sensor is mounted at the chute/outlet of the vibrator bowl, so when the seeds drop out from the bowl, the laser sensor will count as one. A counter is used to preset the counting required by the operator, if 1000 is set, the machine should count until 1000 and stop. So the operator will change a new bag for the next coming 1000 pcs.

I'm facing a problem how to stop the seed from dropping when it reached 1000. Stopping the vibrator bowl/motor is not recommended as this method will not be accurate too. I'm looking for some solenoid valve (or similar) so that when the counter reached 1000, it'll block the seed from dropping anymore. But the customer requirement is no pneumatic/air at the site. So we have to use other method than pneumatic items. Does anyone come across such application (no pneumatic involve)? Something like electrical angular motor (not sure got such a thing?) or...any other suggestion are welcome....Thanks.

OkiePC said:
The first thing that comes to mind is an automotive door lock actuator you could attach to a sliding valve.

This tubular soleniod is what google found for me that is most similar (www.transmotec.com).

Thanks for your information, i'll contact them today. Looks suitable for my application. Thanks man.

Look in Grainger or McMaster Carr for electric solenoids.

Don't know if they will do business in Malaysia but at least looking thru the catalog will give you an idea of what is on the market.

Dan Bentler

If you have a local mobile plant supplier , you could look at the fuel cut off solenoids they use.exspect they would be 12 &24 vdc,but depends on the stroke of the solenoid.

Hi guys,

I managed to source for the Transmotec DC actuators, but does anyone knows the theory of operation of this actuators?

When I apply 24V DC to the actuators, it'll actuate. My concern are:

1) How long it can hold the actuated position (with 24V DC applied) without burning the motor? As I'm using this a a stopper for a vibrator bowl outlet.

2) How can I de-actuate it? By applying 0V DC or reverse the polarity?

I tried to ask the supplier, but they seem not able to answer my question.

I'll be using DLA.24.5.A.50.IP65 (no sensor)

Please refer to attachment. Thank you.

These are just jack screws, when power applied they screw out. Reverse power they screw in. 0 power they stop. Too slow for your operation.

PDF Poor Elect Info!

Hi 'Chew,

Very disappointing electrical info on your Data Sheet from your supplier, no wonder you are confused!

I interperate it this way...

Actuator_Circuit.jpg

The symbols that are shown as Push Buttons must actually be the internal (End) Limit Switches.

The diodes allow reverse movement from the 'end' limit when the supply polarity is reversed after full travel has been achieved in the previous direction which has opened the respective 'safety' end limit switch.

I hope this helps.

Rich