Panelview 1000 communications

flashthomas

I am having trouble getting a panelview 1000 to communicate with a slc 5/05 processor. All is on a ethernet network. Both units are
plugged into the nework, I can see them with rslinks ok. My problem may be with the network, but before I go and talk to the
IT guys I wanted to make sure I had everything set up ok in panelbuilder and the slc 5/05 ok. panelview is set a 10.26.32.33
and I tring to talk to slc 5/05 at 10.26.32.28 I am new at setting
up ethernet so any help would be great!
thanks!

You don't need to talk to the IT guys if you can browse both PV and PLC.
Your problem is the PLC or the PV program is not running/or does not have a valid tag address pointer....
You need to have a program in the PLC that works, AND you need to have a VALID program in the HMI that WORKS with the PLC.
The tags need to be addressed properly.

ok, under the communication tab I have put in node name, node address, and node type. noded name is totesorter, node address is the slc 5/05 ip address and node type is slc 5/05 right? Now I have two buttons programmed using b60:0/0 and b62:0/0 one for write tag and one for the indicator tag. These buttons are addressed to the node name "totesorter" The plc has the b files in the data table. Is there any other programming in the PLC that needs to be done? with ethernet I did not think any MSG or anything needed to be added in the plc?

Best way to get help with this is to post you SLC file ( .RSS)
and your PV file (.PVA) zip them and post here.

If the PanelView terminal cannot connect to the SLC-5/05 over Ethernet, or cannot read the addresses you have configured, it will show a characteristic error code on the PanelView display, like "Error 634".

Does something like that show up on your PanelView screen ?

634 Message is a CONTROLNET error.
You said that you are using Ethernet?
What is your PV Part No?

ControlNet Terminal Messages​

See Terminal Codes for messages below​

Error Number Terminal​

Messages​

Type Meaning Recommended Action​

634 PanelView offline Comm Warning PanelView is offline. Check connections

634 Write fail. Comm Warning PanelView is communicating with the​

controller. The data table address does​

not exist.​

Check / define data table address in the​

controller.​

634 Write timeout. Comm Warning PanelView is not communicating with the​

logic controller.​

Check connections and node​

configuration in the application.​

634 Read fail. Comm Warning PanelView is communicating with the​

controller. The data table address does​

not exist.​

Check/define data table address in the​

controller.​

634 Read timeout. Comm Warning PanelView is not communicating with the​

controller.​

controller.​

636 Initial write failed. Reminder Write to Logic Controller on Startup was​

configured and on powerup, the​

PanelView could not write initial values to​

a node's data table address.​

or​

Write to Logic Controller on Startup was​

not configured and the PanelView was​

unable to write a controller.​
Note: The

error is only displayed on the first write​

attempt.​

controller.​

Check communication connections and​

node configuration in the application.​

634 Read Timeout
IP: 10.26.32.28 Tag: b60:0/0; Length 2

This is the exact alarm I get? That is telling me that it cannot
read from the slc 5/05 at that IP address, right?

This very simple PanelView application with just these four tags certainly looks like it will work. The B60:0 and B60:4 data elements both exist in the controller, so they should be readable by the PanelView terminal.

The main concern I have about the Ethernet configuration is the subnet masking. Your two nodes have Class A addresses:

PanelView
IP Address 10.26.32.33
Subnet Mask 255.0.0.0
Default Gateway 0.0.0.0

SLC-5/05
IP Address 10.26.32.38
Subnet Mask 255.0.0.0
Default Gateway 0.0.0.0

I see that the SLC-5/05 is hard-set for 10 Mb/s Half Duplex, which is the proper setting for a Series A or Series B controller (which you have). The PanelView is (I think) capable of 10/100 Mb/s autonegotation.

Clearly these are both on a corporate network, with a Class A private subnet. What kind of switch or hub do you have them plugged into ?

I can't work out why you'd be able to browse both devices with RSLinx from your PC but they would not be able to connect with one another.

If you do a search in logix 500 for

B60:0/0 0/1 4/0 ans 4/1

It comes back not found

Do you think thats why the PV is giving you the error, the Bits above (ie B60:0/0 etc) are not in the program ?

Also open up B60 in usage there are no X's ? meaning they are not used ?

Program a couple of dummy rungs in (Even though the data tabe shows the B60 values) using the above 4 bits and see if that works !?!

It shouldnt make a difference and i am only guessing as i havent used a PV on ethernet before.

Also check the cabling and any hub ?