RS Linx Ver2.43.0.0 Crashing

Freak

Hi All - I am experiencing a problem with RS Linx crashing whenever reconfiguring a driver. I have tried reinstlling RS Linx but this didn't resolve the problem, the LT briefly shows a message that is on a blue screen but it is too quick to read LT then restarts. LT is running XP Pro.

Any suggestions, tomorrow I will install a later version of RS Linx Classic that I have got for another LT and see what happens. LT is a HP and is running RS500, 500 View ME as well as S7 and Omron.

Cheers
Peter

if you try to configure a device( using rslinx) thats is not present you will crash XP not RSLinx maybe thats whats happening?

Specifically, if you attempt to configure a device that is on a PCI or ISA bus interface that does not exist, RSLinx Classic's hardware drivers *can* cause an OS crash.

This includes configuring a 1784-KTX when you don't have an ISA bus, or configuring a 1784-PKTX when you don't have a PCI bus. This is not guaranteed to happen, nor does it happen on all computers (I cannot replicate it on my Dell D600, for example).

There have been a few threads on this and other forums, as well as entries in the RA knowledgebase about how to delete the RSLinx driver so that RSLinx can start successfully. Search on the terms "blue screen" and "RSLinx".

I have seen the situation that Eddie is talking about cause blue screens. My situation was adding a driver for a PCMK card an accidentally selecting a KT card. No matter what I did to the driver (delete, stop, re-configure), it would cause a blue screen. I had to boot into safe mode and delete the driver.

RS Linx will not unistall

Now I have created a real problem for myslef. Before I got a reply from my original post I decided to just unistall and reinstall Linx, seemed a pretty straight forward job.
Unfortunatly RS Linx will not uninstall but gets stuck towards the end, if youthen go to reinstall it also get's stuck near the end. So then I thoguht I would restore the LT to the day before I started making changes and Linx still doesn't work!
So I handed the LT oiver to our IT dept. they now want to re-image the LT so I need to remove all of hte activation keys. I don't know anything about S5 and S7 as well as GPP Melsec and an Omron package. Are there activation files and or tricks when reinstalling?
Any ideas on removing linx without reimaging?
My biggest concern is that I stuff up something else!!
any advice is appreceated, and I know I should have waited for a response because if I had it would have been all too easy.

Cheers
Peter

Make sure RSLinx is off and not running as a service, if so turn it off. see below. Uncheck always run as a service.

LaunchControlRSLinx.jpg

RSLinx is shutdown as a service, I have in fact shutdown all Rockwell services I could find. The only other thign I can think of is to start messing around in the regestry to see if there is anything there but I am loathe to go down that path without a clear direction.

Cheers
Peter

If you have uninstalled RSLinx then the Folder at
C:/Program files/Rockwell Software/RSLinx
Should be empty if it isn't then maybe you may have to clear what is left.

S5 and S7 transfering activations

Tried the windows clean up utility still cannot re-install RSLinx. Looks like I will need to remove everything - any tricks with S5 and S7 I should know, do they have activation files that need to be transferred?

Cheers
Peter

Problem Solved

Stumbled across rthis thread: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=37418

Which detailed a problem with S7 getting hung.

Went through stopping services during hte install until it started again.

Ended up being a rockwell service that was cauisng all of the problems (not sure which). The strange thing is I had previously shut down all of the RS services.

Alls well that ends well, thanks for all of your help.

Cheers
Peter
icon12.gif