Which PLC?

bkottaras

I was sent this from a customer looking to replace the original PLC with something newer.
Following filenames from the zipped file I received:
S14a.ac$
S14a.b0$
S14a.b1$
S14a.b2$
S14a.da1
S14a.dtr
S14a.exc
S14a.fsr
S14a.ix$
S14a.lis
S14a.lx$
S14a.mmr
s14a.mur
....... a few more files

All files are in the format of : S14a.xxx

Can anyone identify for me please??
Thanks.

I kind of figured it is way old.
Just not sure which one.
PLC2 sounds good though, I recall someone mentioning Allen Bradley.
But then again I've had people calling a Honeywell Allen Bradley.

Thanks Pierre

It is definitely an Allen-Bradley software file. It could be an old DOS operating system APS (early Allen-Bradley "Advance Programming Software" SLC programming language. Each APS documentation database contains these seven different file types:
.b0$
.b1$
.lx$
.op$
.ix$
.pc$
.ac$

In addition to the above, there were some other file types used to save the program. If it is an SLC processor, then you can import this Allen-Bradley program into the current Rockwell RSLogix software program. In RSLogix, go to "Tools, Database, Native Import", then select the "APS" type.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the direct conversion but I think I did this once a long time ago and I had to have the AB local rep convert my files to something "younger" then I could open/import it into RSL5000.

I bet if you intend to upgrade to another AB product that your local reps will be kind enough to give you a hand on this.

My 2 cents.

I'll stop by the local AB distributor tomorrow and have them verify.
APS is also way old, though, i did get to work with it for a while.
4 flopy disks and you were up and running, the simplicity of it all......
Somehow, I still think it is a PLC2 for all I know they mentioned "big racks" no pun intented!!

Thanks Lancie

Bkottaras,

I found an old copy of APS. I will try to install it now, and see what file types it uses.

EDIT: I installed it, but it refuses to run. I suppose it is not compatible with Windows XP. I noticed that this version is a Windows 3.1 program, and it does not want to run on my machine.

Your files could be PLC2 files.

Last edited:
Thanks for the effort.
I'll have the local rep work on it.
No way I can find APS anyplace here, it was thrown in a closet or someplace years ago.

Those file extensions are certainly for 6200-PLC2 software.

I have never run this software, but have successfully opened every file I've tried with AI-2 version 6.25.

If your local rep doesn't have AI-2 handy, zip those files up into an archive and I should be able to respond with a PDF of the program report.

I did call this morning and waiting on them to tell me when I could stop by and do it. Their guys are a bit busy at times but they do get a lot done when they are in the office.
But.. since you did offer, here it is.

Thanks Ken

I didn't find a way to convert the description text over so I only have the raw ladder printout from AI-2. I'll keep looking to see if we can convert the description text without it first having been exported from 6200-PLC2.

Ken, this is what I was told by the AB rep in the area.

Convert 6200 for PLC2 to a PLC5 project.
According to the locals , this is the ONLY conversion that can be done with what I have using some sort of software.
Use that to convert to an SLC format.

If they decide to go with a CompactLogic (like a 32E) I will have to do it from scratch, which is kind of what i'd prefer but anyways!

Here's the deal breaker.
It could cost me anywhere from $5K to $8K for AB to do the conversion for me.

If you managed to do the conversion so far why couldn't they inform me on "other" ways to get it done (anything similar to what you have been doing would be just fine with me).

I do appreciate the effort you are putting into this. The above is just a way of venting my frustrations for me.

Thanks,
BK.