AB PLC: 1 counter, 3 DO and 1 AO

halosome

There is an awkward situation, the customer insisted using AB's PLC, and what I am going to control is only a VFD (3DO: start stop and enable; 1AO: 4-20mA), and the input is pulses (flow meter, perhaps I can use 4-20mA Input instead). I chose panelview300 + micrologix 1100 + AO card. Any suggestions or comments?

What is the drive? You may be able to utilize the logic in the drive for what you are looking to do.

Depends on the flow meter output. Some have either , some have both.
4-20 is easier for flow, pulse is easier for totalizing.
Depends on what they are looking for.

The drive is from baldor, but the customer wants a AB's PLC.<br>

The flow meter can have either mA or pulse. yup, it is for totlaizing, so pulse is prefered.

halosome said:
There is an awkward situation, the customer insisted using AB's PLC, and what I am going to control is only a VFD (3DO: start stop and enable; 1AO: 4-20mA), and the input is pulses (flow meter, perhaps I can use 4-20mA Input instead). I chose panelview300 + micrologix 1100 + AO card. Any suggestions or comments?

I don't get it... why is that awkward? they may have plans in the future that you are not aware of and want a PLC to expand with.

I have done it with a Baldor drive, I think its a good match, I like the PLC much better then the drive, I just have a simple program in the drive with position (4 positions) then have the PLC DO give a signal goto position x

The encoder is a direct feed back to the drive not the PLC, you may want to do the same or something close.

Actually it is a standalone system, we did a same one before with a red lion controller - now the controller become panelview300 + micrologix 1100 + AO card. What I meant awkward is I seem not be able to find a just-fit PLC from AB to do the job without waste of I/Os and displayer.

I haven't used baldor's VFD, but I used mintdrive and flexdrive, and they are very good especially the mint because you can program on it, like Oakley said, probably the drive can utilize logics and the controller or PLC can be taken away.

halosome said:
Actually it is a standalone system, we did a same one before with a red lion controller - now the controller become panelview300 + micrologix 1100 + AO card. What I meant awkward is I seem not be able to find a just-fit PLC from AB to do the job without waste of I/Os and displayer..

I have been known to over kill on just about every project I have ever done :)

You may want to look at the 1000 series 1761-L20BWB-5A has 12digital inputs, 8 relay outputs, 4 analog in and 1 analog out, not sure if it would be less or more, list price is $721.00

Do you like the mint software? I hate it :) but I like their drives, they do have expandable I/O's also for their drives and user interfaces the I/O's are nice

Thanks for all the replies.

geniusintraining said:
You may want to look at the 1000 series 1761-L20BWB-5A has 12digital inputs, 8 relay outputs, 4 analog in and 1 analog out, not sure if it would be less or more, list price is $721.00

Do you like the mint software? I hate it :) but I like their drives, they do have expandable I/O's also for their drives and user interfaces the I/O's are nice

The list price of 1100+AO is $867. Thanks for the info.

I like mint cause I used Panel PC + mint and at that time I need 2 digital inputs, I didn't add any hardware and I wired the DIs to mint drive! :D