I'm back in black!!

Shamus4486

Ok so I've got my ethernet set up, I've got all my programs installed and I'm ready to rock. I've got a logix5561 1756-L61 Allen Bradley and the RSLogix 5000 software all set up. Now I'm having a problem figuring out how to assign outputs and inputs to the ladder logic. If someone can get me started that would be greatly appreciated. After that point I'm pretty good at figure things out and I'm a pretty quick learner. Also I'm wanting to get a job as a PLC programmer or something along those lines and if anyone has any advice on the best way to get into the industry that would also be greatly appreciated. I'm currently enrolled at Tennessee Technology Center and have a little bit longer to go before I graduate.

THANKS SOOOO MUCH,
Jared or Red whichever is easier for you to type lol.

1. In RSLogix5000 after describing to it the type of CPU you have go down to 'I/O Configuration'. This is where you lay out the types of cards it will have in its system.

2. As you set the cards in the I/O configuration the Input and Output points are created in the 'Controller Tags' area. They all start with 'Local:{slot #]:[I or O or C]'. These are the actual direct I/O references.

3. After you have that, brouse for 'Alias' in the threads. There's a lot of good info concerning that. Though they aren't absolutely necessary they sure save a lot of headaches.

start with RSLinx ... click and "drill down" until you can see all of the modules located in the chassis ... right click on each module and go to "properties" ... write down the model number and the revision number ...

in RSLogix5000, at the bottom of the project tree, right click on the chassis icon ... select "add new module" ... pick the module from the list ... make sure that you're inserting it in the correct slot number ... make sure that the revision number is correct ... accept the defaults for everything else ...

communciations type modules usually need a "name" assignment ... with most other modules a name is optional ...

tip: check the Controller Tags area before - and then after - you add EACH module ... notice how the tag list gets built as the modules are added ...

common question: "You mean I've got to add all of the modules MANUALLY?" ... often surprising answer: "Yep" ...

see if that gets you going ... good luck ... keep us posted ...

PS Edit ...

if anyone has any advice on the best way to get into the industry that would also be greatly appreciated.

you're already taking a very good first step ... get your hands on the equipment - start figuring things out - ask for help when you get stumped ... and don't forget to stay humble ...

Last edited:
just reread your post ... are you saying that the I/O modules are already installed - and you just need to know how to addresses into the ladder logic? ... if so, just double-click on the question mark over the instruction (XIC, etc.) and keep drilling down through "Local" - to "Data" - and then select a "bit" address ...

Jared or Red whichever is easier for you to type lol.

Copy and paste :)

----

While thinking about how to answer your question, Ron and Bernie have answered it, but I also started to search on the web and found this http://www.plcdev.com/an_introduction_to_rslogix5000_tags

I don't know how good it is I just started reading it and have just started getting into 5000 myself.. but it looks good so far and it may help.

I would also recommend getting on Ron's mailing list, once he starts on the 5000 version it will be very interesting (not that it's not already)

Also there is a help files that you can install with you software that is very good....

Mark

Hey guys thanks!!

Ok. Sorry, I'm not organizing my problems well. Between this, welding and some other things my teacher has me doing it's a bit hard to make time to type out everything and keep my thoughts organized and concentrated. It's also hard when the night class totally reverses everything I've thus far. So every Wednesday and Friday morning I know I have to re-do my project. lol. It kind of bothers me but I just have to look at it as I'll have some great practice with what I'm doing.

Problem #1) In the RSLinx the ethernet has connected with the controller and recognizes it as a controller but does not recognize the I/O modules that are on the chassis. It basically has a big yellow question mark on top and then says IP Address and the name of the controller but it doesn't have the option of letting me "drill down". Also, in the drill down menu of the driver next to the IP address it says it's an "Unrecognized Device"....?

Again sorry about my organization problem at the moment and thank you guys sooo much for your help!!

Jared

Anything you can teach me, I can learn. There is no job beneath me.

Are the PC and the ENET cards have compatible IP addresses?

Are you PC's IP address and the L61's IP address in the same subnet? I experience the same thing and the problem was my PC and the ENET card on the AB rack are not in the same subnet.

Since you are so unfamiliar with the terminology and have only sporadic access to the system, Jared, it would be most helpful to take some screenshots and learn how to post them. I have found GIF format to be the best tradeoff between readability and file size.

What you are describing with a device apppearing in the RSLinx/RSWho browse but not having the expected "+" sign next to it is a simple Electronic Data Sheet (EDS) issue. RSLinx can identify a device by its embedded "Identity Object", but in order to know that the device is a network or backplane bridge there needs to be an EDS file installed.

When you update RSLinx, the newest EDS files are typically installed as well. The current revision of RSLinx is 2.52.

If you right-click on a device in the RSLinx/RSWho browse and select "Device Properties", there will be enough information for you to get the EDS file from www.ab.com/networks/eds. If you post more about your network and browse results, Forum members can help further.

Yeah that was my problem. I didn't have the right RSLinx installed. So thus the right eds files were not installed on my computer. I've got that fixed now and we had it working grrrrrrrreat Friday...until we found out that someone had wired it to another plc. So after the little amount of smoke cleared and we'd thoroughly fried our enet hub we're correcting the problem today. We have to buy a new enet hub today, so we'll probably get something cheap from wal-mart or somewhere else. I'm focusing more on the plc portion of my education as of this week. I've done some mig welding before and the only thing I'm not so good at is arc welding. So anyway I'm writing out a problem sheet and I'm going to log everything into that. What problems I have and what the solutions are. I'm going to make a copy for myself and give a copy to my instructor so he can pass it on to someone else when they get stuck. I'll be back on later with more things as soon as we're up and running again. This has been a great learning experience. I'm kinda glad it hasn't gone so smooth so I can get as much training as possible.

THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!! And I'll be back shortly. lol I know I know I can already hear the growns and moans!! lol

Jared