Help

We do need more data. What PLC are you talking about? How much interactivity do you want? What platform do you intend to use?

Regards,

Why should we even assume he's asking for a PLC?? There's absolutely NO indication of what he's planning on doing or how he's doing it.

PowerPoint, Excel, Java, etc., all give you interactivity with the physical world.

Yogy, if you want good help here, you need to give us good information!! You'll get nothing but ridicule with information like that.

im doing a project on plc's Im going to connec a PLC with a HMI using a microwave link so i need a PLC software which allows me to have a physical input and a out put. im currently using a simulation software called Trilogi but it is only a simulation software so i cant get any interaction with the outside world so please let me know is there a software for this and if any one has used trilogi can i gt an out put some how

The "typical" setup uses the PLC as the "brains" of the operation to run controlling logic. It interacts with the "real world" via I/O modules, which have physical digital or analog screw terminals that the PLC reads/writes to as tag "addresses".

The HMI package is a program that runs on one or more PCs that allows you to graphically design screens. The idea is to represent the physical process with changing images and text; color is often used to convey information. The HMI will have a "hook" into the PLC, which will allow it to communicate with the PLC, thus the real world. This is typically either interacting with real PLC registers, in which case each HMI necesserily must be configured to talk to the PLC directly, or through some sort of "tag database", where there is some mapping between HMI tags and PLCs/IO. In either case, you base object values on the screen on (possibly scaled) PLC values and can write setpoints, trigger events, etc.

I'd recommend using a TCP/IP based connection so that the microwave link is seamless in terms of connection with respect to the control system.

To answer your question - every PLC and HMI satisfies the vague requirements that you've submitted. Unfortunately, there's not much quality free stuff in this industry. Search for HMI or SCADA on Sourceforge. Alternatively, there are free demos of commercial software that typically run a few hours then must be manually reset.

edit - I didn't realize that Trilogi is a PLC simulator. I couldn't find any "hooks" for an HMI to connect in (OPC, etc). Ask your instructor. You can buy PC based I/O cards for that system, which would work pretty much how I described PLC I/O modules.

http://www.tri-plc.com/ioboard.htm

yogy said:
im doing a project on plc's Im going to connec a PLC with a HMI using a microwave link so i need a PLC software which allows me to have a physical input and a out put. im currently using a simulation software called Trilogi but it is only a simulation software so i cant get any interaction with the outside world so please let me know is there a software for this and if any one has used trilogi can i gt an out put some how

Last edited:
im planing to connect the HMI to the microwave link using some special adopter. but the problem im facing is that the software im using dosnt interact with the real world it is a simulation only so please let me know any freeware softwares that i could use for this. and how can i build a HMI can i use a HTML page for that

Dude, you're gonna get chewed up, regurgitated, and spit back out to the wolves here by providing data like that. For the benefit of other posters, I'll enumerate problems:

1. All 3 posts have been vague. Provide specifics and we have something to work with.
2. This entry basically says the same thing as your last one. It only adds "connect the HMI to the microwave link using some special adapter", which basically meaningless.
3. HTML has little to nothing to do with what we're talking about.
4. The poor grammar, lack of relevant detail, and insitence on free software are a huge turn off.

A good post might begin, "I'm taking an Industrial Controls course where we've been learning ladder logic on a Trilogi simulator. Our recent assignment requires that we create a software program that controls connected motors and valves...how might I approach such a problem"

The burden of providing accurate information lies on the guy trying to get free help - you.

I'm sure the big HMI vendors would love to help out a student with free software. Contact Rockwell, Wonderware, Citect, GE, or Iconics. (couldn't help it)

yogy said:
im planing to connect the HMI to the microwave link using some special adopter. but the problem im facing is that the software im using dosnt interact with the real world it is a simulation only so please let me know any freeware softwares that i could use for this. and how can i build a HMI can i use a HTML page for that

First of all I’m thankful for surferb for helping me out with this.

Ok so here is my situation. I have to design a PLC system for my final year dissertation. To control a water purification plant witch is located remotely. But the water purification part is only the application. All I need to do is make a PLC work using a HMI. So is there anyway that I could achieve this.

Dissertation - please tell me you're not talking about a masters or doctoral program.

Why choose a microwave link? If you're within a few miles directional radio equipment would be easy. From afar I would investigate a VPN tunnel over the Internet, a satellite shot, leased line, etc.

I would recommend trying to obtain or borrow a real PLC if possible. They're really cheap (relatively speaking) on ebay. I would recommend going with an entry level model. Posting the type of PLC that you're using is another step that will gain you credibility here.

Going with a commercial HMI is probably your easiest solution here. I would expect a demo version to work fine for your purposes. Alernatively, if you're a proficient .NET programmer, you might get a serial Allen Bradley PLC and use Archie's open source project.

In any event, if you're project is largely about properly specifying the design you can probably get good guidance here - with the caveat that you're demonstrating hard working and not just "freeloading".

yogy said:
First of all I’m thankful for surferb for helping me out with this.

Ok so here is my situation. I have to design a PLC system for my final year dissertation. To control a water purification plant witch is located remotely. But the water purification part is only the application. All I need to do is make a PLC work using a HMI. So is there anyway that I could achieve this.