SLC500 String Truncation

OkiePC

Lifetime Supporting Member
What is the best method to remove the first single character from a ST element in a SLC500?

I have a method that works but is ugly, and was wondering if someone out there may have a better idea.

Currently, I copy the string to an integer file, then I use a SWP on those integers to swap the high and low bytes of each one. Then I have eight BSR instructions (in a loop) to shift everything over one character, then another SWP to get the bytes back in order, before copying the integers back into the ST element. Then I have to correct the LEN portion of the element, since it gets blown away in the process.

Yes it is ugly, and I am hopeful there is a better way...

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Lets make sure I understand you.

You want to delete the first character from the string, correct?

Use AEX

AEX ST20:0 2 81 ST:20:1

If ST20:0 is more than two characters long, ST20:1 will then have a copy of ST20:0 beginning at the second character. Although a lenght of 81 is programmed, only characters from positon 2 through the end of the string are copied.

Last edited:
OkiePC said:
Currently, I copy the string to an integer file, then I use a SWP on those integers to swap the high and low bytes of each one. Then I have eight BSR instructions (in a loop) to shift everything over one character, then another SWP to get the bytes back in order, before copying the integers back into the ST element. Then I have to correct the LEN portion of the element, since it gets blown away in the process.

I gotta say, that is some serious programming legerdemain.:geek:

Yes it is ugly...
QFT

🍺 🍺