Problem with a 1756-OV16E/Control Logix

gosenbach

Hello, I have a Control Logix 1756-L61B PLC I am trying to get fired up. So far everything checks out except for my output card. I have a 1756-OV16E and can not get the output to turn on. The card is confirmed to be wired correctly. I have tried a second 1756-OV16E in the slot and it did not work either, so I am pretty sure it is not a hardware problem (i.e. faulty output card). RS Logix 5000 indicated that everything with the card is working perfectly.

When I try to force the outputs to test them, forcing the approprate tags has no effect. The tag indicates that there is a force in place of a value on 1, however, the indicator for the current state of the output remains at 0.

The only way I have succeeded was to go into the configuration of the card and toggle the "output state during program mode" to ON, the dropping the PLC into program mode from run mode. Then the output turns on.

I might also mention that our customer supplied the program. So if there is a way they may have had it configured to dis-allow forces or something that I do not know about, they might have done something with that. I just do not know. This is only my second project dealing with Control Logix so I am not very familiar with them.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers!
Greg

Sounds like there might be a logical I/O connection problem between the Logix controller and the card. Is the card right in the chassis with the CPU ? Are there any yellow-triangle or yellow-circle icons at the module in the I/O tree in RSLogix 5000 ?

I am the Rockwell Automation logic controller technical consultant for your area; check your Private Message list for some contact information if you want to talk directly. I happen to have two of your North Coast Electric technical guys in a meeting right now too. Um.. maybe I should go pay attention to this meeting now....

No yellow circle or tirangle icons next to the card. The output card is in slot 2 of the main rack.

I'll go check my PMs :) Thanks for the offer.

[font=&quot]I was not aware that there was anything more required than selecting the tag Local:2:O.Data.5, right clicking the force column, and selecting 'force on'. The value column turns purple. I do not see any option on that menu for "enabling forces"... could you please point me to it? As I said, I am not too familiar with RS Logix 5000.[/font]

Thanks.

Enable I/O forces here:

forces.GIF