1st time COMPACT LOGIX MODBUS

g.robert

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all.

I am starting my first compact logix project. I have experience with the PLC 5 and mico units up till now. I need to send run and speed commands from ladder logic to three Westinghouse MA-7200 drives. I also need to receive current speed at drive and fault (bit) status via modbus.

I see I can go from RS-232 on the PLC to RS-485 on the drives with a convertor. Some research I have done indicates this may be more complicated than a first time user can handle. I used Red Lion's Data Highway Plus on a similar project using a micro 1100 to Watlow temp controllers. I saw some AB reference to a "MVI69-MCM" for modbus/ RTU. I'm not sure what to do. I need to control cost as possible but have limited time (completion by Monday coming). How should I approach this?

You didn't mention which model of CompactLogix; do you have an EtherNet/IP, ControlNet, or DeviceNet network available ?

If so, there are quite a few networked solutions, particularly on Ethernet.

Red Lion's DataStation Plus is very flexible, RTA's 451EM is very easy to use, and the Digi One IAP is fairly inexpensive.

The standard no-risk it-will-always-work Modbus RTU solution for CompactLogix is the Prosoft MVI69-MCM. If you have a tight schedule, or have a CompactLogix without Ethernet, choose that device.

Robert,

The Red Lion DataStation Plus product can take your tag names out of RS_5000 directly into Crimson. Then depending on how you wish to talk to the drives, via Modbus RS-485 or ModbusTCP it can easily exchange the data for you. I am in Houston until Thursday and then return to Dallas on Friday if you are near any of those places I could meet with you and show this.

Thanks,
Joe_WaZoo

If you don't need very fast response, then you can use sample code available with RSLogix5000 installation
MB001.jpg

If so, there are quite a few networked solutions, particularly on Ethernet.

I have the Ethernet model 1769-L35E. I would prefer to NOT add hardware as the BOM has already been approved but I can and will if required to wrap this up in a few days.

I really set myself up on this and have procrastinated about as much as a person could on a project. This project is simple. I could set it up in a day (minus the modbus issue) with our typical set up of micro 1100 to Automation Direct's C-More HMI. I used the Red Lion DSP (Ron helped) on the last modbus issue I had. I have an N-Tron hub for connecting the HMI, PLC and laptop. I will be 1st time user of the compact logix and the Red Lion G3 HMI. So I have a learning curve on both to overcome in a short time frame. The project is basically monitoring 16 DI (HOA and float switches) and providing outputs to drives (speed and run). Most buttons and monitoring will be on the HMI.

What’s the best way to hit the ground running?

If you don't need very fast response, then you can use sample code available with RSLogix5000

I do not require any high speed transfer. It is simply enter speed reference @ HMI, write speed to drives, display speed & general drive fault status from drives on HMI and send run command to drives based on DI conditions. I read in several PLC chat boards that the examples were problematic and NOT easy to follow for beginners. I must consider myself a beginner on this based on 0 experiences with compact logix. I would like to try it if it is not a waste of time. I just received my copy of RS-Logix 5000 a few minutes ago. I do not have the PLC hardware yet. I'll get that later today or tomorrow.

I am in Houston until Thursday and then return to Dallas on Friday if you are near any of those places

I never look a gift horse in the mouth. I am in Houston around the Memorial Mall area. If you are in the area and have time PM me for contact info. I do NOT want to waste your time. I will have everything but the HMI tomorrow by noon. If you could offer any assistance on getting up to speed on the RS-5000 or Crimson for HMI programming I would not turn it down. Maybe we could get together for lunch?

With the Compact Logix/G3 application, the easiest thing to do is to use the Native Tags via L5K driver. We are working on a TechNote for this, but it is not ready yet, below I have described the process. If you meet up with Joe, he can have this up and running, or at least show you how to do it in no time.

You will first need to configure your PLC, make sure to use Controller tags and not program tags for anything that you want to access with the G3. Then click File-Save As and save the PLC program as an L5K file. Then in Crimson 2, select the Native Tags via L5K driver. Click the PLC that shows up beneath that protocol and click the View Tag Names button. Click the Import button from that window and browse to your L5K file. Then you can go to the tags section and create tags, and map them to the tags within your PLC.

Regards,
Dan

Sounds easy Dan. I hope I can meet up with Joe. It is looking like I will not have the HMI until Friday. If Joe has time and thinks it will be productive without the HMI on hand I'll gladly accept the help.

It is pretty easy. You can get the idea without an HMI, but knowing Joe, he will have several in his trunk if you want to set it up.

Even if you can't meet up with joe, Jeremy or I can walk you through it over the phone.

Regards,
Dan

Robert,

I sent you my phone number in a PM. I will be over in your area this morning and possibly after my 9AM meeting I could swing by and show you how to do this.

Thanks,
Joe_WaZoo

Red Lion assistance

Robert.

I am the local representative for Red Lion (I work with Joe at Automated Dynamics). If for some reason you guys can't hook up today, I'll be able to help out tomorrow or early next week.

Scott

Joe could not make it today. I did download the latest Crimson and installed RS-5000 today. I have the PLC L35E and will have the G3 HMI sometime tomorrow. If you can come by before noon or after 1PM that would be great. I'll PM you.