RS logix 500 enetering text question

ktm

I do have a RS logix 500 specific question.
I am practicing typing in using the text bar.
here is an example I am using.

XIC I:1/0 XIO I:1/1 OTE O:2/0

what I have a question is how do I add information to that above line to identify my inputs and outputs? an example would be the
XIC START the XIO STOP and OTE MOTOR 1

someone mentioned using a symbol to designate possible ->
but when I tried to type it in

XIC I:1/0->START XIO I:1/1->STOP OTE O:2/0->MOTOR1

The program will accept the line and show up as such but without the identifier above the symbol. I can still right click and edit description and add it in manually but I was wondering if there is a way to add the description to the text line.

any help or tips are appreciated

Last edited:
Go ahead and make a short program, possibly just one rung, with identifiers. Now double click the rung and look at the line. Does it show the identifiers. No. The line is showing just the logic. I believe that's the only way you can enter it.

If you want to use symbols for addresses. try populating the symbol fields first.

Open the data tables to which you want to assign symbols. Highlight a bits or word you want to symbolize. Then click in the symbol field below the data window and type your symbol.

When entering symbols, the spacebar will automatically be changed to underscsore, and all letters will be capitalized for you, so this method of entry is pretty quick. Also, RSLogix checks for, and forbids duplicate symbols.

The description field is there too. Once a symbol is defined, it will be substitured automatically in the ladder editor. I am not 100% sure about entering rung mnemonics, but you can fill in the address fields of instructions by typing the symbol instead of the address.

You'll have to test this when you type a rung mnemonic, RSLogix should translate the symblols into addresses when you hit enter.

Last edited: