Transfer data from one PLC to another.

Buhsman

I have two plc's that basically control one machine. One is a AB 5/04 and the other is a 5/01. What I would like to know is if it is possible to move the data, say an input or an output from one plc to the other without actually running a wire from the output of one to an input of the other. Would it be like transfering data to a panelview by using a block transfer or can it be done at all, I'm not real sure. I realize if it can be done, I would have to upgrade the 5/01 processor to a 5/04. This is not a problem though. I would appreciate any help on this and thanks in advance.

KYLE

Hi there,

Yes this is possible with the 5/04 on the DH+ network,if you go to your 500 help and read up on the msg(message) instruction you will find that you can send 64 words across the network, you simply set up the message with the target node and target data address and the address were your data is stored for sending.You will also have to clarify whether the message is read/write etc.The best solution is probably to have 2 msg instructions on each plc 1 for reading and 1 for writng.The port is usually 1A which is the default AB DH+ port. beerchug

actually, you don't need a MSG

Very small amounts of data (16 bits max.) can
be exchanged between DH+ stations by using the
Global Status Flags word.

You have to assign it, and the other station
needs to assign one as well.

You put 16 bits in there, and the other station
automatically 'sees' the data, once per token pass.

Buhsman said:
I realize if it can be done, I would have to upgrade the 5/01 processor to a 5/04.

Another option would be: Set SLC 5/04 ch.1 (rs-232 port) to DH-485, add a AIC+ at that SLC and also add a AIC at the SLC 5/01 and do your data transfer via DH-485.
I'm not sure of the price comparison of a new SLC 5/04 vs. an AIC+ and an AIC, but It's another thing to think about.

You can connect a SLC 5/04 to an SLC 5/01 as shown by the following picture. My advice would be to use this as an opportunity to upgrade to a SLC 5/04 and use the DH+ network. Using a message instruction from SLC 5/04 to SLC 5/04 is very easy. I've never tried going from an SLC 5/01 to a SLC 5/04, but I'm guessing it would not be so straightforward.

Kim

485_network.jpg

One thing to remember, the 501 does not support the message instruction so there is no use using DH485. Regards Alan Case

Thanks to all for the information! I will upgrade to a 5/04, have one in stock. I will use the MSG instruction, totally forgot about that, duh. I am not familiar with the global status bits though. I will do some research. 16 bits would be alright for now, but I am sure things will change to where I will need more! Once again thanks for the help.

Kyle