Square D PLC ladder print out problems

JamesShoe

Howdy -- We have a very old Square D SyMax PLC Model 650. Recently we made some modifications and wanted to get a new print out of the software. I was not able to get anything to print out. I was able to get Rack Addressing, I/O Cross Reference and Register usage to print to File, and then open those in Notepad and print out. However, the Ladder diagram will NOT print to file, or anywhere else. I have tried all possible printer configurations -- network and local and verified all baud rates and settings correct per each printer. Does anyone ahve another work-around solution to get this ladder print out? We have also heard of a WinMate software package that will run the SyMax software in a Windows environment, but so far have not been able to get a demo. Does anyone know anything about the WinMate software? Is it worth purchasing? Would it solve these printing issues? Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help us.

If you can post program, I'm sure someone here can turn it into a PDF file for you. I can try it later this evening.

George

Are you using the old DOS based SFW50 software?
1) You can print to a dot matrix printer with cloth ribbon (OKI and Epson are the only 2 left. About $400.00.). OfficeMax, etc. has them.
2) HP laser. They have built-in drivers.
3) While viewing on screnn, press Shift-Printscreen (or just Printscreen). That will copy the current screen to the clipboard. Open Paintbrush. Turn off all the options so you can maximize the screen area. Paste. From here you can print or save JPG's, etc.

The old Square D's are Idec, at least the ones I worked with. I think their software will read and edit the program fine, but I don't remember the name. Winmate doesn't sound right. Search this forum for Square D and Idec. The software has been discussed before.

Last edited:
The answer depends on the software you are using. How far along do you get in the print process?

For SFW37x software (These are the correct steps the key numbers are fom memory):
1. go to the search screen (F2?)
2. type the number 1 - do not hit enter
3. push the print soft key (F8?)

keithkyll
The Sy/Max Model 6xxx is nothing at all like the Model 50 the software is entirely different.

If i remember right, the Symax software wanted to print to a local printer on LPT1. If you have a USB printer, you might be out of luck. And USB to parallel adapters might not be good enough.

problem solved --

Thanks to everyone for so many responses so quickly. Jim Dungar -- you had the winning formula -- all we had to do was NOT hit the enter key to display rungs on the screen. Nowhere in any of the Square D manuals and training guides did it say that. And that is not what I was expecting. But anyway, that allowed us to print the ladder to a text file and we have printed out copies already this morning and all looks good. We have to juggle the text formatting a bit to make it show up on the page OK, but that is not a problem. Thanks again everybody -- hope I can return the favor soon.

James

JamesShoe said:
Nowhere in any of the Square D manuals and training guides did it say that. And that is not what I was expecting.

Actually it does say that in the manual, but only if you read only the written words.

For example, if this was a phone conversation and I said for step #2 "enter 1", what keys would you push before asking for step #3?

It's an easy interpretation on the part of the reader that when someone says "Enter 1", that they mean "Type 1 and hit <ENTER>". Whenever I've had to write a "cookbook" procedure like that, I've been careful to word it as "Type in the number 1 and then press <ENTER>".

For this case, I would have worded it "Type in the number 1 but DO NOT press <ENTER>".

Jim -- you must have more manuals than we have. In the Class 8020 Model 400 Processor (Bulletin # 30598-503-01E1) and Class 8055 Model 650 Processor (Bulletin # 30598-730-01A1) manuals it does not even address print methods -- only how to connect printers. The only mention I could find in our files was in a workbook from a training class Maintenance electricians went to about 16 years ago that had a section on documentation. And in there it did not spell out procedures at all -- gave only examples of what the finished print outs would look like (with or without comments/cross reference, etc.). Can you tell me what manuals you have and then I can see if we can obtain copies for future? Thanks

James,

You need the documentation for the software (bulletin 30598-717-xxx) - not the manuals for the processors. The software manual covered all of the buttons and keystrokes for the general commands and instruction set common to all processors. The processor manuals only included information unique to each processor. I believe the 8010 SFW374 software manual went out of print back in the late 80's. The commands for this software are very archaic and non-intuitive because the keystrokes were purposely created to mimic those of the dedicated programming terminals rather than using commands common to them new fangled PCs.

Please manual pdf 30598-503-01E1

Hi art all,

it's possible to have a copy of manual
30598-503-01E1 (sy/max600)

Thank you in advance!

Diego