RSView32 Messenger - Calling out to cell

SocialDeviat

Im trying to set up RSView32 Messenger to call-out using a PCI modem on COM3 to notify operators of an alarm. I can't seem to get it working right. Anyone have an idea?

I confess that I don't know, to what "SMS" refers, but our systems are assigned "service accounts" in the E-Mail system. Then the message goes out to the Exchange server as an e-mail. If I remember correctly, the "send to" address is something like [email protected] and the total message is limited to "Short Text Messaging" requirements (about 162 characters or so).

SMS server for RSView32

You may consider using the U.C.ME-OPC software from Control See.
It connects to RSView via OPC or DDE and will send alarms to any cell phone. You may also use your cell phone to query or change tag values remotely using SMS. A fully functional evaluation version may be downloaded at http://www.controlsee.com .
Alarms may be also sent via email, fax and voice message.
SMS-Snaphot1.gif

But... RSView Messenger is supposed to do that.

All I need is an Email and at least a pager.

I understand I would need a GSM model now to enable and use the SMS function. What isn't gonna happen now.

Yes. You need a cellular GSM modem (Wavecom Fastrack, Siemens TC65, Multitech Multimodem) and the U.C.ME-OPC software...
Mike

What version do you have?

I seem to recall that in RSV32 v6.4 (can't remember Messenger version) you set up SMS as a pager. You don't need a GSM modem, an ordinary modem will do, but you need your service provider short message service centre number. You used to be able to find a world-wide list of service centre numbers in the setup, by setting the destination to pager, but I've just crashed my version (RSV32 7.4 Messenger 2.14) trying that. As well as the numbers, the import also had the protocol settings, which you may have to get from your phone provider. I have previously set up RSV32 6.4 to send SMS using the pager setup, which works fine.

Go to Messenger Destinations, set Destination Type to pager, and you should get an Import button. The PIN number is the phone you want to send the message to, the pager service is your service providers number. Import used to give a list of service centre numbers, but it doesn't seem to work any more.

You mean TAP service using ordinary modem. This is the old fashion way to send messages. Cellular modems are much faster and much more reliable. In addition they are bidirectional. The problem: Messenger doesn't support cellular modems. Using a 3rd party program such as U.C.ME-OPC will do the work. See www.controlsee.com .

Yep... both options sound good. i will figure which i want to do tommorow as I have the meeting and final setup to do. If he doesn't mind the price of a modem, then i will set it up that way with the 3rd party. I think they still like using modem to dial in and remote access the computer though... so I don't think they wanna spend too much with this.

But like I said... ill find out tommorow.

Ok... I guess the customer wants cell phone service instead. I haven't yet asked which he wants, a simple voice phone call?... Which would require the cell modem, or something like a text message which I found the numbers to use with his phone service. Which is harder to set up using ONLY messenger... OR would I need something else. Barebones...