controllogix ruip

plc noob

can someone explain the benefits of riup and how the internals of it work in controllogix . any special considerations to program design when using ruip? i would imagine grouping all non critical i/o indicators ,horns ,etc on thwe same module would be a good start . any ideas ? do you have to do anything in logix 5000 to enable ruip or when changing a module ?

Hello PLC-noob;

Here is some information on "Remove and Insert Under Power" for Controllogix I/O modules (for a DC Input module, see page 3 of the document):
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1756-in021_-en-p.pdf

Basically, you can remove any Controllogix I/O module from the backplane even with power paalied; the problem is removing the termination block from the I/O module: field poewer must be removed before you do that, or you might have arcing problems (this can damage the sensors or the I/O electronics).

Diagnostics in the PLC program will show you that the module is no longer connected to the backplane while you remove it. And you will get (at least) minor errors if the new module is of a different revision than the removed one.

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier