Siemens S7-200 PLC and Simatic Panel TP 170A

Groggy

I have a Siemens S7-200 PLC and Simatic Panel TP 170A but I can't get them to "work" together.

I can program the PLC with STEP 7-Mirco and the Panel with WinCC Flexible but I can't get them to communicate afterwards.

Before there was a program on the PLC and the Panel and they communicated fine. When I Updated the Panel to 7.2.0.0 and made a program that reads from VD100 I get #########. (It's set to 4.4 on the PLC)

I'm using the MPI cable btw.

I'm kind of new to all this so it's probably something simple =)

I dont know anything about TP's but ill have a stab

Is the cable the same as the one that did work before ?

Have the comms settings on the TP been altered ?

Have the comms settings on the S7s port been altered?

Are you plugged into the correct S7 port (presuming it is an S7 226)?

Have you still got the old programs that "Talked" ?

Last edited:
It's the same cable
the comms settings are the same on the TP
I haven't changed anything on the S7
It's a S7-224 REL 1.12
The old program disapared when I updated the TP, it was programed by Protool, but I don't have that program.

Is it possible/do i need to update the PLC?

Have you got microwin and been online with the plc to confirm the comm port settings i.e. PLC Address, Highest Address and Baud Rate.

If you havent got the old HMI App then how do you know the comms settings in your new app are the same ?

In WinCC Flex i assume you have set the comms up and these are the same as the S7 200 port.

You say you have an MPI cable, i am not sure but i thought the S7's ports were PPI only ?

From the MicroWin Help

hmippi.jpg

Also see (may be of help)
http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/llisapi.dll?func=cslib.csinfo&lang=en&objid=14188898&caller=view

Last edited:
Just read this and had a question,

Is it the standard serial MPI/PPI cable that is used for this communication or do you need a null modem cable?

Just curious.