am i correct with my information? Beginner PLC user!!

jenko

hi guys i was wondering if you can read this and tell me what you think and if i am mising any important information thank you!
as you can see i think i started off well toward the end i let myself down do you have any pointers please thanks!

After reading scenario one I have chosen to use the unitary brick type Programmable Logic Controller, the reason why I have chosen this is because the tar marking machine does not need any add on’s once the Programmable Logic Controller has been set up (no need to expand). Also I have to consider that this is going to be used outside in all weather. I think that this Programmable Logic Controller is suitable as it will protect the cables. As the power supply is concerned this Programmable Logic Controller is efficient for this job as there is no mains supply on any Heavy Goods Vehicles (HGV), the Programmable Logic Controller will run off a 24DC power supply - 2 12V batteries connected in series which will be on the Heavy Goods Vehicles (HGV.) Finally the unitary brick type programmable logic controller is very ultra compact.

After reading scenario two I have come to the conclusion to use the rail/rack mounted Programmable Logic Controller as they have a lot of potential for unlimited expansion/s. Also this type of Programmable Logic Controller can combine different makes on different racks/rails. Also this Programmable Logic Controller has unlimited design flexibility, but compromises compactness.

After reading scenario three I have come to the conclusion that the modular Programmable Logic Controller would be suitable for this job as its compacted and looks tidy, also extras can be added to the Programmable Logic Controller or expansion.

sorry i dont have them at hand i basicly have to find out things about the plcs i have chosen as you can see i give a good bit of detail in sen 1 then i go down hill from there as my notes get worser :( any help?

basicly looking for any main points ive missed about about the PLC's

Last edited:
My first thoughts

jenko said:
After reading scenario one I have chosen to use the unitary brick type Programmable Logic Controller, the reason why I have chosen this is because the tar marking machine does not need any add on’s once the Programmable Logic Controller has been set up (no need to expand). Also I have to consider that this is going to be used outside in all weather. I think that this Programmable Logic Controller is suitable as it will protect the cables. As the power supply is concerned this Programmable Logic Controller is efficient for this job as there is no mains supply on any Heavy Goods Vehicles (HGV), the Programmable Logic Controller will run off a 24DC power supply - 2 12V batteries connected in series which will be on the Heavy Goods Vehicles (HGV.) Finally the unitary brick type programmable logic controller is very ultra compact.

A PLC does not protect cables ? (Unless it has fused IO)

Jenko,

It always amazes me how much emphasis in the classroom is placed on the different "types" of PLC where "types" means what sort of container the PLC is built in. In real life, the three types you mention overlap a great deal, and no manufacturer that I know of sells a model called a unitary PLC!

PLCS are sold based on capabilities, support, and price. The cabinet that contains the PLC, or how it is constructed, usually is only a very small consideration. I suppose this question is so popular in schools because it provides a good place to start the learning process.