Compactlogix on internet through Router

bradal

Hello All,

I have searched through articles in here and the internet to find some more information on connecting from the internet to a Compactlogix behind a router.

Here's where I'm at:

Have my linksys (WRT54GS) router with DD-WRT upgrade. Ports 2222 and 44818 are mapped to IP 192.168.1.149. I "PCanywhere" into a remote computer and add my WAN IP "69.xx.xx.xx" into RSlinx Ethernet/IP driver. I have also tried the RSlinx Ethernet Devices driver. Neither seem to work properly, and with the Eth/IP driver do I enter my WAN IP and 255.255.255.0 as the subnet mask.

I can Telnet from the remote machine to port 44818 but not 2222. Any help would be appreciated.

I am thinking that I should have this PLC on our network at the office and VPN into that network. Any other ideas what might be blocking this traffic??

I never tried this specific confoguration, but:
- Ethernet/IP driver by default uses "broadcast all" UPD message to address 255.255.255.255 UDP port 2222 to discover devices. It most likely will not propagate through the router. Even it will propagate, PLC reply (UDP 2222) may not come back.
- Ethernet Devices driver uses TCP connection to port 44818. you need to forward it to your PLC. You need to specify IP of the router in this case
- Compactlogix gateway field must have router's LAN IP address
- TCP port 2222 is not active on Logix based devices.
- Try to capture traffic on WAN side and LAN side using wireshark and compare with direct connection traffic. You can post Wireshark trace here and someone will take a look at this.

In the process of using wireshark, but for now when I do a netstat in dos it shows my local IP at 192.168.1.117 and port 4100, talking to 192.168.1.149 port 44818. Why wouldn't this be the same port??

Maybe I could get one of you guys to try connecting, it may be my remote computer that I am "PCanywhering" to.

The broadcast ("discovery" that Contr_Conn referred to) won't get passed over Internet routers. This means that you'll have to enter the IP address manually in the Ethernet/IP driver in RSLinx and shouldn't expect browsing to work.

As a sanity check, you might try opening the host up to all ports as a DMZ host.

Your WRT54GS is not a VPN endpoint, but supports a VPN passthrough. Another good connection is if you have a Win 2003 server or any other VPN endpoints.

You should use VPN instead, if your router can handle it.
Post your traffic captures here
you'll have to enter the IP address manually in the Ethernet/IP driver in RSLinx
Ethernet/IP driver does not support manual addresses. Should use Ethernet Devices driver - it is using TCP comms.

Well I think it was the "other" computers ISP. I will be checking from the office this morning to see if it works. I will let ya know, I am pretty sure I have everything set right and it should work.

Alright, I had everything set right on my end. There must have been something on the "remote" end blocking the ports, ISP or something. Thanks for your help.