Lessons Learned -- 22-COMM-E and BOOTP

recondaddy

I'm currently on a project start-up and am keeping a running list of lessons learned. I've learned so much on this forum from you incredible folks, and I want to contribute whenever I can.

Today's challenge: 22-COMM-E and BOOTP

This week I was trying to place two Powerflex 40's on my ethernet network which sounds like no big deal. However, the 22-COMM-E modules weren't fresh out of the box. They were pre-configured, and I had no idea what parameters were assigned to them.

So, I figured I'd open up my handy-dandy Rockwell BOOTP Server utility and do some rooting around. I saw that in the relation list that you could manually enter the MAC address and the IP address that you wanted to assign. After doing that, if you right-click on the relation, you have the option, "Reset Module's Network Setting to Factory Defaults".

What joy and rapture swept over me when I clicked that option and saw the message "Sent network reset message (DHCP FORCE_RENEW) to <MAC Address>". My elation was short-lived, however, when no fresh BOOTP requests came pouring in from the module after what I thought was a certain reboot of the adapter.

Here's the deal. This option is incredibly misleading. The only time this option will work is if you know BOTH the MAC Address AND IP Address! If you don't know both, the BOOTP utility is just as happy telling you that your wishes have been fulfilled.

If you have a pre-configured 22-COMM-E, and you have no idea what the IP address is, you will need either a remote HIM for the Powerflex 4 family of drives (22-HIM-xx), or you will need to install one of the drive configuration tools (Drive Explorer, Drive Executive, etc.) with the appropriate interface cabling. With these options, you can access and edit the drive/adapter parameters through the DSI port.

Hope this helps.