how to implement ruip in plcs's

plc noob

guys

i have soem questions on how to implement ruip in my next project using controllogix .

1. i have been told when the module is removed i will get some errors ? if so what kind ? fatal or stop processor ? in the status file ?

2. what happens in the processor when the module is removed ? does the processor ignore those addresses ? does not scan them ? mark them in some way .

3. if a tech goes to a plc that a module has been removed from how can he tell ? lights status ? message when going online ?

4. how to setup my program in manner to get the most use of ruip ? where downtime is calculated per minute

i have zero understanding of ruip and my customer wants to use it any help or advice is greatly appreciated

First, what does ruip stand for.

There is a light on the processor that will flash, "I/O connections lost. Also in the RS5000 ladder, the same indications.

Under the connections tab on the module properties, I believe you would have to uncheck the "Major fault on controller if connection fails while in run mode".

You can monitor the I/O status using a GSV block.

ruip stands for removal and insertion under power . that is what the ab manuals call it or hot swap

do you know what the status of output i/o would be ? does it stay in state or go low ?

when inserting the new module what has to be done ?

does the faults self clear when a new module is inserted ?

or must you clear on the module or status file ?

i am trying to figure out how this all works . i can not test because i will not have the harware for a few weeks . just thought a lot of people here may have used it before

plc noob said:
ruip stands for removal and insertion under power .

Would that not then be RIUP??

do you know what the status of output i/o would be ? does it stay in state or go low ?

You can define that in the module properties - either on, off, or hold.

With a controllogix, it will not fault the processor. However, be aware that when you remove a module, ALL of the points on that module will quit functioning and you will very will have process (NOT processor) faults (i.e., you will be making bad products! You may even be tearing up your machine!!).

That said, you ~can~ do it (RIUP), but ~should~ you do it?? Your system has to be very carefully designed to allow you to do it with minimal process interruption.

And, if I may (pffftttt... I'm going to do it anyway...) First, please understand, this is not intended as a personal attack. It's just that you've hit on one of my favorite pet peeves.

You need to learn to write correctly. In business, how you write is measured very carefully by customers. I understand that English may or may not be your native language, but it appears that you are at least doing business in the U.S. If someone were to make a proposal to me written in the style you're using, I would not hire him.

There is NOT a space between the last letter of the last word and the punctuation.

Sentences start with capital letters.

I know that many people get sloppy when posting on boards like this, and texting is absolutely killing what few writing skills many young people have. But business communication should still have at least modicum of professionalism as demonstrated by proper writing skills.