Importing SLC Tag Database

robertmee

Lifetime Supporting Member
Maybe more of an Excel question, but nevertheless....

I have a customer that has listed how they want all their I/O tags documented in an Excel spreadsheet. Unfortunately, each description is in a single cell, and as far as I understand, SLC expects comma delimeted descriptions in 5 fields of 20 characters each. So, is there a way to get all these descriptions that are in one cell into 5 cells of 20 characters each and split on word boundaries?

Thanks for the headsup. Text to Column almost does what I need if it would do it on a word boundary.

I posted over on the Excel website and they responded with this. It works absolutely perfect and should be a part of any SLC programmers toolkit. Thanks again for the help!!

In summary, this will take any cell of text and split it into word boundaries of any length. Just so happens the example used was for 20 characters which is perfect for SLC.

http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70185