String Manipulation in a MicroLogix 1100

cjvanrem

Thanks again to everyone who helped me with my counter problem. I have another one...

The ML1100 is attached to a C-More touchscreen from AutomationDirect. It is working very well but the screen can not access ST files on the PLC. If I want to store ascii data I can use an N file (high byte of first word is 1st character, low byte is 2nd character, etc.). This works if all I want to do is retain display data in the PLC.

However, I have a computer running RSView32 that I am going to use to monitor the PLC, log data, and react to various events. RSView32 wants to look at ST files for string data. So, I need to either:

1) Somehow stuff the bytes from the N file into the ST file.

or

2) Convert the bytes to ascii characters in RSView32 (probably using VB.

Does anyone know if 1 can be done?

Thanks again for all of your help.

Chris

I've got it...

You can reference a word (2 characters) within an ST file like this:

ST9:1.DATA[0]

It stores the data exactly the same way as the C-More is writing the string data to the N file. So I just move each word from the N file into the corresponding DATA word.

The only thing I have to do is initialize the string with the number of characters I will be storing in each string.