Citect Paging / Emailing

Weipa

Hi all

I am new to this forum and I am not sure if this question/s have already been answered. I have hit a brick wall.

I am one of the Process Control Team and provide support for a large range of miri, Allen Bradley, GE Fanuc PLC's and some Baileys as well as Citect. One of the systems we have for the town office is two servers - one master the other the backup server. These machines monitor and control around 50 miri units for the town dams, bores and sewage treatment plants. The servers also use a paging project to dial via an internal modem, a telco's paging system to send alarms to various mobile phones.

Now this system has been working fine however it has stopped working. I have checked the modem and citect project are still working (no changes made around or on when the paging system failed). I am able to ring mobiles, land lines and fax machines directly using the paging project but it will not 'talk' to the modem at the telco's paging system end. I have also used the same phone line to ring the telco's system via a phone and the modem on that end picks up and seems to be working fine.

I have changed out modems and tried different phone lines without success. Any suggestions from anyone? Citect version is 5.5 service pack C. Machines are Dell Dimesion E520s.

And next is anyone familiar with using the MAPI emailing cicode as this is my next step if I can't get the paging system to work.

Weipa said:
Hi all
And next is anyone familiar with using the MAPI emailing cicode as this is my next step if I can't get the paging system to work.

Yep, I have used Citect to send emails, faxes and also email to mobile at various times in the past. All of them using their MAPI functions. Mostly I have used Outlook but think it should be possible using other MAPI devices. I will have a look thru my old projects and let you know. I remember serveral years ago Telstra was the only provider (at that stage) that had landline access to their mobile network. If you wanted to sms to Optus or others you needed a mobile modem and had to send via mobile network.

Dua

That would be great if you could find your old code. Hope you don't mind if I use some of it if ti fits with what I need?

Bit basic but...

Well I found one, not the one I was looking for but it did work. (at least I think it did , it was originally written in 1999)..
This one used outlook to fax a file (material.txt)
If I can find a better one I will post it.

FUNCTION
SendTheFax()
STRING sFileName;

MailLogon("John Nabben","",0);

Beep(0);
Sleep(5);
Beep(0);
sFilename = PathToStr("[Data]:Material.txt");
!MailSend(sName, sSubject, sNote, sFileName, iMode)
MailSend("Materials","","",sFileName, 0);
!Sleep(600);
!Beep(0);
!Beep(0);

!FileDelete(sFileName);

END

I have modified the Paging system to send Emails using a VBA function in Version 6.1 SPB.
The core of the code cam from a MS access web site.
Had to do some work with the IT department to allow the citect server to send out through the fire wall.
The Email is sent to a Email to SMS service run by Telstra.
Here is the VBA code

Option Explicit

'Values 8, 9, 10, And 13 convert To

'backspace, tab, linefeed, And carriage return characters, respectively.

'*****************************************************************

'* CDO.Messsage

'***********Send Email Without warnings***************************

'* Variables: sendTo - list of recipients

'* Body - text to display in email

'* Sender = "[email protected]"

'* smtpServer = "YourServer"

'* smtpServer = 25

'* To add attachments use this line

'* .AddAttachment "c:\temp\readme.txt"

Public Sub sendCDOEmail(sendTo As string,Body As string)

On Error Resume Next

Dim myMail As Object

'Create Object

Set myMail = CreateObject("CDO.Message")

'Create Email

myMail.Subject = "Citect"

myMail.From = "Your From"

myMail.To = sendTo

myMail.TextBody = body

'**********************************

'** Configure Remote smtp server **

'**********************************

myMail.Configuration.Fields.Item _

(
"http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusing") = 2

'Name or IP of remote SMTP server

(
"http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserver") _

=
"Your Server"

'Server port

(
"http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserverport") _

=

myMail.Configuration.Fields.Update

'**End Configure Remote smtp server**

'Send it

myMail.Send

Set myMail = Nothing
End Sub

Maybe this will give you some ideas
"Outlook doesn't have to be running using this method"

You may use the U.C.ME-OPC software that integrates with Citect via OPC or DDE(see below). Please have a look at http://www.controlsee.com. A fully functional evaluation can be downloaded.

Mike
Bidirectional_SMS.gif