Redlion G3: Upgrade to a larger size

billysmithde2

I have a G306 but want more eye candy visible at a time so I want to upgrade to a G310. Is there an easy way to import the Crimson file, then just touch up the screen portion? All the comms, programming, and tags would be the same. I could envision upgrading the hardware that the Crimson file thinks it has, then the current screens show up in one corner of the new larger screen. Anyone have experience with this?

If there's a way, I'd really like to know about it also. I have spent considerable time duplicating programs just to go to a different size screen. If it's not possible, it would at least be nice to be able to copy and paste primitives between two open instances of Crimson. (Last time I checked it causes Crimson to crash.)

To do this open the cd2 file up with NOTEPAD and then edit line 7

Change G306Item to say G310Item

resave as a cd2 file

Then open in C2, all tags, programming and comms will be there, if you have gone from a 306 to a 308 or 310 then the screens will all be smaller so its just a matter of resizing them.To ReSize, just select all Items on a screen, Group them, then drag them with the mouse to fill the screen.

Going from a 308 to a 310 requires no alterations on screen size.

I agree that if C2 did this for you it and resized it would be easier.

TextFile.jpg

Last edited:
kolyur said:
If it's not possible, it would at least be nice to be able to copy and paste primitives between two open instances of Crimson. (Last time I checked it causes Crimson to crash.)

This should be fixed.

You must be VERY careful if you choose the text editor route. This really only works for G308s and 10s as they are basically the same thing. Do NOT try to use this to go smaller, as it WILL cause problems.

Regards,
Dan

DanYost said:
You must be VERY careful if you choose the text editor route. This really only works for G308s and 10s as they are basically the same thing. Do NOT try to use this to go smaller, as it WILL cause problems.

Regards,
Dan

Major problems ? Or minor ones ?

DanYost said:
Generally minor, but not much testing has been done with changing the model.

Regards,
Dan

I done an app on a G308 (Should have been a 306) and conveted it by the text file routine, all objects were off the screen though so i resized all displays in the 308 app converted to a 306 and all worked fine.

Could we have some sort of facility in C2 to change apps between different displays ?

OK. The definitive answer to this is...

Hacking of the CD2 to change the database type will work if you go from a G306/G308/G310 to a G308/G310. It will also work in a fashion with a G308/G310 to a G306, but as 504 points out, the objects will be off the screen and the editor might crash while you're trying to resize, as we don't test in that situation. Switching between mono and color units, or between units with different serial port configurations (eg. G310/G315, or G306/DSPSX) won't work and will cause all sorts of problems.

All that said, in general, if you do this, you're on your own, as Tech Support will be very suspicious of people who hack the cd2 directly. There is all sorts of data in there that is interconnected, and it's very easy to break things. It's a bit like the Windows regsitry!

PS: Yes, I know. We need to officially support this somehow...

MikeGranby said:
PS: Yes, I know. We need to officially support this somehow...

I am glad you put that as it means i dont have to put a request in now!!

Since there is lots on the net about hacking the windows registry i guess you wont be surprised that cd2 files are being looked into :)

Some sort of Application manager (either integrated into C2 or seperate) for import export of cd2's to different platforms perhaps :) ?!!

g3 cd2 datafiles

I have hacked these between G3OEM and G303.
you need to be careful when adding/removing things/features that don't exist in the other unit. Other than that, it is straightforward. much like an *.ini file.