1st time user in the RSView Studio

rjmarinaro

Hello everyone.
I am a new user with RSView Studio. i have a panelview plus 600 that i am going to be setting up.
We have many other panelview plus 600 on the shop floor. I have the .apa files for all of them. I am trying to open up a .apa file that was done by someone else on a different computer.
My question is how do i open that file so i can view the screens and learn from them?

rjmarinaro said:
Hello everyone.
I am a new user with RSView Studio. i have a panelview plus 600 that i am going to be setting up.
We have many other panelview plus 600 on the shop floor. I have the .apa files for all of them. I am trying to open up a .apa file that was done by someone else on a different computer.
My question is how do i open that file so i can view the screens and learn from them?

I don't have my work computer in front of me, to give directions; but the RSVEW studio program has a file transfer program in it... you must import a file, into it's database, before you can use it.... You can find the program through the menus, or under the RSView Studio folder in your start menu...

It's a pain in the butt, when you want to sync programs between multiple computers...

rjmarinaro,
You need to use the "Application Manager" function that probably was installed along with RSView ME. There should be a shortcut in the programs menu for it. Also it should be under the "Tools" on the header in RStudio.
BD

Go to, Windows Start then, Program Files/Rockwell Software/RSView Studio........Application Manager
then look for ME and import options or something similar, when you find the right place just import your projects .apa file

Edit Application Manager is the name I needed

Last edited:
rjmarinaro,
what does it mean when it says the file is not a valid archive file?

Probably means that the file you are attempting to restore is from a different revision of the RSView ME software. There is a way to convert the file, but I don't know what that process is. Wasn't that nice of Rockwell to add this "Feature"? Maybe another forum member will chime in with the answer. I believe you need at least version #4 to get away from this problem but I'm not sure.
BD

I believe you would get that error if you try opening an older APA in a newer version of software.

Also, a little time saving tip, you can just double click on an APA and it will start the application manager restore process.

Don't waste your time trying to reconcile old versions of the software with new runtime or archive files. Uninstall RSView Studio version 3.x and install the newest (renamed) FactoryTalk View Studio 5.0 on your PC.

FactoryTalk View v5 can open archive files from all the older versions, and can make runtime files that are compatible with all versions of terminal firmware.

Actually I my brain just caught up with my fingers. Opening an old APA with a newer version should prompt you to convert it, so I retract my previous statement.

What I should have said is if you try opening a 4.0 APA with version 3.X of the software, then it would give you problems.

Take Eddie's advice.

Just a thought, these pv+ are a pain.

If you update the mer file on the pv, make sure you delete the log files, it may come up with an error if not when you try to load the new app.
I got cought out once with the silly file handling in me, thought I'd copied my apa & deleted the original.