Does anyone know if I can mount a 3 Phase 10hp Motor upside down?

The issues are almost entirely about bearing lubrication. It would be good to check if the grease will stay where it belongs in the bearings.

Usually, upside down or on the side is ok but vertical shaft up and especially vertical shaft down requires some changes due to axial thrust issues in the bearings.

Also, if the motor has drain plugs or holes, the drain and vent may have to be moved so they are on the top and bottom.

Last edited:
If your 'upside down' means shaft down, you may also want to verify that you will have proper air flow for heat dissapation.

Thats how the fan motors are mounted in our cooling towers and they run 24/7/365 - some motors have been in operation continuously for 15+ years and they have been continually exposed to cooling tower mist. They are TEFC motors, but if your motor is ODP but not in an area where exposure to fluids can occur then it won't care. Like all mechanical equipment, it must be maintained as the manufacturer recommends, that means if the bearings aren't sealed they need to be greased at the proper inntervals.

You will also want to be sure that the input shaft is in a position so that the seals can be lubricated but not allow the oil to drain out. I worked at a feed mill years back and someone had mounted a gearbox/motor combo on the outside of the building about 50 feet up with the input shaft facing the ground and we changed that thing twice before I reconfigured it so that it was facing up. The next 2 years I was there we didn't have one problem with it.

-Edit-
I just reread your post. This only applies if there is a gearbox attached.

Last edited:
motor mount

Not a problem. Just make sure the bearings are the sealed type. You will have to change them more than a horizontal motor but the cost of a small motor is not that significant. :)