connecting slc500 to symbol 1204 fzy scanner

hurleypa2002

Hello,

Has anyone ever connected a Motorola symbol 1204 fzy scanner to a ab504 PLC using devicenet? The scanner has a rs232 port in which you can plug a power cable to power the scanner. I was going to use a rs232 to devicenet converter to connect to the PLC.(reason being I need to connect 8 scanners to the plc) I'm wondering if anyone knows what the EDS file might look like for devicenet and how to trigger the scanner? I can use a hardware trigger, however, software trigger would be better. The scanner communicates with a ssi command interface which is hard to figure out because Motorola makes it hard to use with hyperterminal.

Any help would be a big thanks.

Pat.

I can supply some information tomorrow, as I am at home now, and it is Sunday....I don't have all of the details at home, but I have done an application using RS-232 to DeviceNet, using soft triggers through the PLC.

I had about 6 serial devices on my Network.

I will browse through my notes tommorow when I am at work.
What specific information do you want? As far as I remember, I had ? marks in my RsNetworks for DeviceNet graphical map.

Thanks SNK,

Any devicenet mapping would be a help. I'm not sure if you have had any experience with Symbol scanners. Might you know the command prompts to soft trigger the scanner, as of yet, I am having difficulty finding such information from their web-site. They say that the handshaking from the scanner does not work with hyperterminal, so I'm not sure if there is another program that will let me test commands and handshaking.They use ssi programming which seems to be better suited to a PC than a PLC.

Pat.

Is it Symbol's own DeviceNet/RS232 converter, or does it have a part number from another manufacturer ? I've done a lot of different DeviceNet/RS232 installations but each one works a little differently and you definitely need the converter's user manual. I have used the A-B 1734-232ASC and the DIP/MKS CDN-066 the most.

If you can't find a user on the Forum who has interfaced these two particular devices, I'll bet you can get some community help on the "SSI" protocol by posting links to protocol information.

Hurley, In my past projects we have used the CDN366-1, provided by DIP Incorporated, providing an RS-232 to DeviceNet coupling.
I have attached an EDS file for the above, but as Ken explained, you need to find the specific EDS file for your device,.
I have had good luck with these models, communcication is taken care of in the device tag data.
It really requires just a little reading on the device that you intend on using. I can help if you need anything further.

Thanks guys.

I'm going to use the w5-jdc4 4-channel devicenet serial gateway from Western Reserve Controls. I'll let you know how it goes.

Pat.