Can't browse backplain in RSLinx

manse80

Hi.
I'm trying to connect to PLC via ethernet. In RSLinx I can browse the network and see the ethernet card. The ethernet card is placed in my backplain with the CPU and I/O modules. But I can't se neither the cpu or the other modules in RSLinx. I have tried nearly everything, but I can't fix the problem. Any good ideas?

If you can't expand the ethernet card (no plus sign next to it) you probably need to get the correct EDS file for your card.

What model PLC?

Are you not seeing the modules appear at all in the backplane or are you seeing yellow question marks with unrecognized device?

If you are seeing yellow question marks, you need to register eds files for the modules.

I am able expand the card but nothing happens. I have downloaded and installed the latest EDS files for both ETH card and backplane.
I have tried to connect with an other PC, and here I can see all modules without any problems.

Can you see the backplane?

How did you install the eds files? You have to register them by placing them in a directory other then Rockwell's eds directory and run EDS Hardware Installation Tool under RSLinx Tools from Start menu.

I can't se the backplane. Only the ethernet card.
I used the EDS Hardware Installation Tool to add the files from a USB memory stick.

I haven't tried to browse chassis with browser. How to do so?

Type in the ip address in internet explorer address bar and hit enter. You may need to go to tools, internet options, connection tab, lan settings, and make sure automatically detect setting is unchecked (might just be my network though). It should bring up the cards built in web page. If you can browse the chassis from there, then it is most likely your 'puter. Have you rebooted since installing the eds?

Only about 30 times ;)

I assume it is the ip address of the ethernet card i should use!?
Will try this first thing in the morning (am not onsite anymore)

I don't know if this would affect it but
did you check the rslinx version of the 2 computers and/or update rslinx?

Yeah, the cards ip. Once you connect with your browser, check the rev. # and make sure that it matches the eds that you installed. The eds you installed may match the label rev. but someone may have flashed it. Is it a new module or existing?

You might want to try, closing Linx (stop if it is a service) and deleting the two harmony files in the C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSCommon

harmony.rsh
harmony.hrc

This will force the software to update the EDS files that have been installed.

I have been online with the browser. In the browser I can see all modules in the chassis. Strange.....

The ETH card are rev. 4.003 and the EDS file is rev. 4.1. Is this a problem?