S5 => S7

Hi there,

I need to compile/transfer a S5 program to an S7 program. I've never done this before . Is there someone who can get me started.
I just need to transfer 7 pb's and 1 ob and 2fb's.
Thanks in advance

Frederix Rudi

Be carefull with the automatically translation function, it might mess up your once so nice made code.

If I would be in your place I would perform a manual translation. This way you will know at least what happens into the program.

Just my 2 cents,
Stef

Stef,

if the original programm was written the right way, there's no need to translate manually. If the original was completely written in STL (or AWL in German), using special programming techniques, then your suggestion might be right. But in that case I would strongly advise to re-engineer the complete programm.

Kind regards,

Hi Jean Pierre & others,

As you mentioned earlier Jean Pierre you're right that I'm programming in STL. :D
My personal experience learns me that I don't safe time using this tool.
All programs at our company are written in AWL/STL.

Things I experienced with the tool :
1) Functions with math needs to be rewritten as there are more advanced functions for math allready integrated in the syntax of S7 compared to S5.
2) Everything with communication needs to be rewritten as the use of communication cards is different. ( serial, profibus, ethernet)
3) The same goes on for counter cards & analogue signal.
4) Use the S7 way of DB's is a lot cleaner than the S5 way
L DBxx.DBWyyy instead of
OPN DBxx
L DW yy
5) For one or othe reason there could be written some random code using that tool into your new program.
6) Use the S7 way of working with pointers.

Nowadays, when I need to rewrite a program, I take my PG, I open the old program, make an analyse of how things are working and then i start rewritting the program on my laptop into S7.

This way the new program is perfectly what I want and I will at least know how my program is working ! This is very important IMHO when doing the commisioning of the new program !
Time is money, especially when you are doing retrofits of projects in automotive and petro chemicals sector during the weekend.
It gives a nightmare feeling from time to time ;-)

Kind Regards,
Stef

Seppo,

to me the right way to write a programm is to ensure that as many service technicians as possible are able to read the programm. I don't use any special programming technique unless it is absolutely necessary. If I have to preserve memory because the programm would grow to large for the CPU used, I tend to switch to a larger CPU. In this way I can always use ladder for as much of the programm as possible.

It's all a question of how many times you want to get called out of bed for no reason at all, because someone didn't understand why the machine stopped functioning as required.

Nowadays I don't get called out of bed any more because I don't work at a factory any more, but when I'm teaching my trainees, I still remember those days ;) .

Kind regards,

Back
Top Bottom