PID AutoTune w/ Micrologix 1200

Dave19711

I have a process temperature control unit that has 5 pid loops. The problem is when the setpoint is changed, all the pid settings need to be changed for it to work correctly. The setpoint range I have is drastic; -20 to 200 and is a very small unit. It's like controlling a shot glass of water with liquid nitrogen and a blow torch. Is there some add-on or device that will, I guess, auto tune the settings for when the setpoint is changed by the end user? We are using Micrologix 1200. Thanks!

if you can, I'd suggest that you post your .RSS file ... there might be something "not quite right" with the PID setup ...

also ... can you (or can you NOT) nail down the proper tuning to (let's say) TWO different set of values? ...

specifically, suppose that when the SP is at 100 degrees the values X.XX, Y.YY, and Z.ZZ give "GOOD" tuning for the system ...

suppose that when the SP is at 200 degrees the values A.AA, B.BB, and C.CC give "GOOD" tuning for the system ...

if that's "do-able" - and you only need two or three distinct SPs, then consider using a couple of COP rungs to "load in" the proper settings for P, I, and D whenever the SP is changed ... (adaptive tuning is a popular buzzword for this approach) ...

are we making progress, or did I just misinterpret your question? ...