RSlogix 500 to RSlogix 5000

I haven't used any automatic conversion programs.

For each ladder program in the SLC500 I create an equvalent program in RSLogix5000. I then highlight all the rungs in a SLC500 ladder, copy (CTRL-C) and paste (CTRL-V) into the RSLogix5000 program. After that it's cleaning up data file references. 'Find and Replace' works really well.

Even easier -- In RSLogix5k, Tools > Translate PLC5/SLC. It will then ask you for the SLC program file and a destination file to store it to, some configuration stuff, then *poof* does it.

BUT -- It will NOT be a nice translation. You will still need to assign tags to your physical I/O. Plus the "addresses" will still look like SLC addresses, and will NOT take advantage of the 5000 matrix style. Plus, there may be a few things that won't convert nicely (like SCP... maybe someday they'll add that command to 5k ladder...)

OZEE said:
Even easier -- In RSLogix5k, Tools > Translate PLC5/SLC. It will then ask you for the SLC program file and a destination file to store it to, some configuration stuff, then *poof* does it.

BUT -- It will NOT be a nice translation. You will still need to assign tags to your physical I/O. Plus the "addresses" will still look like SLC addresses, and will NOT take advantage of the 5000 matrix style. Plus, there may be a few things that won't convert nicely (like SCP... maybe someday they'll add that command to 5k ladder...)

Minor, but important detail here. The SLC program file the translator will be looking for is one with a .SLC extension, not the one with the .RSS extension. You neeed to first save your SLC program as a library file to get it into the format for import into the L5K.

That said, I want to echo Ozee - its better to rewrite and take advantage of the power of the CLX.

Minor, but important detail here. The SLC program file the translator will be looking for is one with a .SLC extension, not the one with the .RSS extension. You neeed to first save your SLC program as a library file to get it into the format for import into the L5K.

Another minor but just as important detail; you've got to do a Tools -> Database -> ASCII Export as well in order get the SLC symbols out.

Rockwell document 1756-RM085B-EN-P gives you the whole story. I tend towards Bernie's method for small apps. as you end up with much better tag structure.

By spooky coincidence I was writting a simple "How To" on this topic yesterday; here's the (not yet completed) final section:

The Translation tool is not intended to perform a complete conversion from PLC-5/SLC 500 applications; the changes in architecture between the older hardware platforms and ControlLogix are too great. Here are some important considerations:

Physical I/O: The tool does not add any I/O, the programmer has to select the hardware based on the application.

I/O Data Tables: There are no I/O data tables i.e. areas of memory containing the state of I/O modules. The tool creates single-dimension array Tags whose names start with I and O but the programmer has to write extra code to pass I/O data into and out of them by using the COP or (preferably) the CPS command.

Rung Comments: Rung comments will have to be imported by cut/paste.

MainRoutine: The code that was originally in Ladder file 2 will now be a subroutine; the Main Routine of the translated application will be a single rung with a JSR to the original file 2.

5. Objects not completely translated. (Not an exhaustive list)

MSG’s
Block-Transfers (translated as MSG’s)
Indexed Addressing
S2 data (usually need to configure GSV’s/SSV’s)
Timer accumulator values. Correct millisecond values are put into the .ACC’s but where these values are used in comparison instructions other operands will have to be edited by the programmer. PCE’s are put before such locations.
Symbols: Symbols are converted to descriptions (and often truncated)
ASCII instructions. The programmer will have to re-write the code.
SLC-specific instructions. Instructions such as SCL or SCP are changed to UNK (unknown) and the programmer will have to re-write the code.

OZEE said:
Even easier -- In RSLogix5k, Tools >Plus, there may be a few things that won't convert nicely (like SCP... maybe someday they'll add that command to 5k ladder...)

I wish they would make that a standard command also. it has a lot of uses other than scaling inputs in the stuf that I do.

jtn said:
I wish they would make that a standard command also. it has a lot of uses other than scaling inputs in the stuf that I do.

Function Block Diagram has it:

scp_fbd.jpg