Buying 2nd hand plc for learning

jaxrpc

Steve Bailey said:
The seller doesn't specify what software is included, but I doubt if it's a licensed copy. GE Fanuc software will only run for four days unlicensed.

Steve,
Does that old 90-20 use LogicMaster too? or is there a new software to program 90-20/90-30?

The PLC on ebay is not a 90-20. It's a Series 90 Micro. And yes, it can be programmed with Logicmaster.

My point about software is that GE Fanuc is neither the best nor the worst when it comes to offering free software. They used to offer a crippleware version of Logicmaster. Now they let you install their software and it will run unlicensed for four days. During that four-day period, the software is fully functional. You can create new programs, upload and download to the PLC, save your work, no size limit. After the four-day period, you can no longer upload/download or save any modifications unless you have a license or unless you uninstall and then reinstall the software to restart the four-day clock. The license can either be a software key or a dongle. The software is not available for download from GE Fanuc's website. You have to get a copy of the CD from a distributor. I suspect the seller on ebay is simply making copies of the GE Fanuc CD.

Russ B. is employed by a GE Fanuc distributor. He may know GE Fanuc's official policy towards people who sell pirated copies of their software.

Overall its a great idea...

I used to sell the GE's with a copy of the software... I was told that they gave it away on their website (a long time ago) but after I started making the trainers myself and selling them I looked into it a bit further and found nothing supporting this, so I stop selling it with the software.... :( sales have droped

But sales vs jail time or fines for pirate software is not a very good trade....

They are good little PLC's, if you look harder you will find a better deal on eBay (for the PLC) 15.00USD now thats cheap!

If you have your own software I can give you the pinout for the cable, it will work with that PLC but its not good enough for other GE PLC's, I was told that it would have issues.

If you just want the PLC with the cable (NO software) PM me, I have a few left...

hi geniusintrining

are you the one selling the trainers on ebay those PLC with switches? I was considering those too. Can you PM me for more details on those?

Another thought....

I heard a story from someone that sells on eBay, they received a bill from (I think Rockwell) for 2 years of software that they sold on eBay, Rockwell got the sales records from eBay and billed them for every copy that they sold and also sent a bill to the end user (the one that received the pirated software) not sure if they ever collected but.... make you stop and think

It would be best to find a manufacture that will give you the software if you use their PLC's, if you contact them (anyone of them) they will try and work with you I'm sure of that

Greetings jaxrpc ...

buying a PLC for learning purposes is a GOOD idea ... but before you buy any of them, I’d ask around in your neighborhood to see which brand is being used the most ... you DO plan to put your skills to u$e someday don’t you? ...

if the Allen-Bradley brand seems popular in your area, then here’s a lead on where you can get a MicroLogix1000 - and the software is a free and legal download ...

markstrainer.JPG

good luck with your studies ...

Hi, Ron AB is abit too expensive to me for learning, well i want to learn PLC because i am a software programmer and hope to make myself more valuable by learning how control works and plc can work with computer for scada or daq. Anyway except for ebay i am not sure where i can get other used plc. Maybe you could recommend me some models that you think is not that bad and reasonable pricing ( i dont mind paying abit more)

... learning how control works and plc can work with computer for scada or daq.

those objectives might make your project somewhat harder to do ... as has already been discussed, even though a particular PLC hardware setup might not be too expensive, in many cases the software to program that PLC can be VERY costly ... and if you’re trying to link things together with SCADA and HMIs, etc. then most “simple/starter” software packages won’t handle those types of data transfers ...

best course of action: whatever you find, post the details here and we’ll try to help you decide whether that system will do what you want it to do ... just make sure that you mention as much about your objectives as possible ...

another thought: is there a “trade school” near you with a decent PLC lab? ... if so, you might consider signing up for a semester just to use their hardware and software ... that might be another way to get your hands on some actual equipment at a fairly reasonable cost ...

one more thought: do you have friends who might be interested in the same types of things? ... I know a few guys who pooled their financial resources and bought enough equipment to work with ... they’d meet in one of the guys’ basement once or twice a week and work together on projects ...

good luck ...

Hi Ron ,

i am planning to write my own drivers for the PLC and not using standard scada / hmi softwares like ifix , wonderware etc. I will be using most probably .net to write and retrieve data from DM on the plc. My friends think i am wasting my time :( yup there are schools and labs around, those are costly and i feel that the only way to learn and remember is to do a small project with it. Maybe i am a more hands on type of person.

Well the project i am thinking about might be using PC and via plc to control a remote control car.

Ron Beaufort said:
Greetings jaxrpc ...

buying a PLC for learning purposes is a GOOD idea ... but before you buy any of them, I’d ask around in your neighborhood to see which brand is being used the most ... you DO plan to put your skills to u$e someday don’t you? ...

if the Allen-Bradley brand seems popular in your area, then here’s a lead on where you can get a MicroLogix1000 - and the software is a free and legal download ...

markstrainer.JPG

good luck with your studies ...

I would definitely second Ron's advice. find out what is the most popular brand in the places you are most likely to work.

yup there are schools and labs around, those are costly and i feel that the only way to learn and remember is to do a small project with it.

if the cost of "school" is out of your range, then that kills that idea ... but I didn't mean that the school would (necessarily) TEACH you the subjects that you want to learn ... I meant that if the lab equipment is locally available, then the cost of a semester might give you access to the hardware and software - and might be cheaper in the long run than buying your own stuff ... just tell the instructor to stay out of your way - and let you play with the toys ...

am planning to write my own drivers for the PLC and not using standard scada / hmi softwares like ifix , wonderware etc.

there are many threads on the forum covering ideas like yours ... let me ask you something (it's ok if you choose not to answer) ... how old are you? ... and are you planning to ever make money in this automation field? ... if you're still quite young, then maybe you have time to have fun - and learn a LOT - from what you're talking about doing ... if you're old enough to be "getting on with your life" - then maybe you need to carefully consider whether this project will ultimately be worth the time (and money?) that you're about to devote to it ...

something to consider: if you're thinking about making this a career, try to find someone to talk to about your course of action ... hopefully that would be someone like a prospective employer who could tell you honestly what you need to know - and what type of skills they would find attractive if considering hiring you in the future ... people here on the forum could certainly give you the same type of advice - as long as you tell them enough about what you want to do ...

finally ... if you're young enough - then DO whatEVER you want to do ... you'll always regret it if you don't ...

PS EDIT: heck, even if you're getting on in years - go ahead and DO whatEVER you want to do ... as long as you don't have to neglect any important responsibilities (family, etc.) to do it ...

again, I wish you the best of good fortune ...

Last edited: