O/T InkJet Printing

gbradley

Lifetime Supporting Member
When Ink Jet printing directly onto a product.
Is it common to connect the Ink jet interface machine to an external PC database?

I have one paper traveler sheet that is already barcoded for each batch of parts.
The part number needs to be printed on each part in the batch.
The part number can be ascertained from information in the traveler sheet barcode, but you need to be connected to the company database to get that info.

What kind of software do you use to send the RS232 information to the bar code printing unit?

I don't have a particular Ink jet printer in mind yet.
I was considering
Matthews C84 or Videojet Willett 460

Inkjet

Hi
I have some printers (Linx 6800) that i have configured to print onto products on a production line. Essentially I have a script that runs an SQL query back to a table configured by the factory it dept that returns the printer text, which is then transferred by RS232 to the printer.

I've done this with the Linx 6800 printers also. I created a class library in Visual Basic 2005 that implements nearly every aspect of the protocol (even logos). I used a small windows CE touch screen from IVC Displays that runs the software. When an operator scans the job ticket barcode, the setup is retreived from a SQL server, it then creates a new job in the printer, then puts the printer in run mode. Their protocol allowed enough control that the printer can be setup without the need to touch anything on the printer.

I've been asked to do this with videojet printers, but they refused to release their protocol.

Is the Matthews printer a re-branded Linx, because they look quite a bit alike?

Picture

I found a picture of one of the units that was done.

LinxBarCodeSmall.jpg

Archie, That looks like what I was thinking of. Very nice.
The last thing I want is for the operators to type in part numbers by hand.
I don't know about the branding.
Is that a bar code scanner on the front?
It looks like a magnetic card reader.

gbradley said:
The last thing I want is for the operators to type in part numbers by hand.
Is that a bar code scanner on the front?
It's hard to see on the screen, but that application has a button the operator can touch to give them a pop up keypad in case the barcode is un-readable.
That is a Unitech slot barcode reader on the front. It's a USB version, so it basically emulates a USB keyboard.