Recommend a SCADA package?

mcafone

Hi,
I'm working on a destructive test system where I need the capability to store and recall recipes, display some simple trend data and record a few data fields for each test. I can't imagine using more than 20 or 30 tags for the whole project. I wanted to use Lookout Direct but it doesn't support windoze vista and I don't think you can buy a whitebox PC with XP anymore (can you?). Either way, I'm looking for a second opinion. Please Advise...

mcafone said:
Hi,
I'm working on a destructive test system where I need the capability to store and recall recipes, display some simple trend data and record a few data fields for each test. I can't imagine using more than 20 or 30 tags for the whole project. I wanted to use Lookout Direct but it doesn't support windoze vista and I don't think you can buy a whitebox PC with XP anymore (can you?). Either way, I'm looking for a second opinion. Please Advise...

There are many software packages that have a demo mode, that allows limited run time, with limited say 20 tags, RSView 32 by Rockwell being one of them.

BUT
The bad news is that I do not know of any SCADA system that is supported to run on the Vista platform, at this present time.

mcafone said:
Hi,
You can still get XP machines. We just got a few for a project from Stealth http://www.stealthcomputer.com/ I believe if you order from Dell business PC you can get XP. I am sure there are other industrial type PC suppliers that still sell XP & Win2k boxes. CTC even has DOS based machines http://www.ctcusa.com/. This will keep your options open. From what I hear MS will be supporting XP for a longer than expected time.
Our company (end user) is not planning on going to Vista on the business PC's until we have to.

Good answers

Thanks people, that was fast! I read about microsoft saying they were going to stop support for XP a while ago and figured the writing was on the wall for it. Nice to know I can still get an XP box. As far as the SCADA package is concerned, I'm still curious though. For a simple (internal-not for a customer) type of project, what package do you guys recommend?

I second the Stealth Computer recommendation. They're not cheap, but reasonably priced. Their sales team was supportive. I used a "Little PC" that was fanless and ran off a DC power supply - it shipped with XP.

About Vista - I personally don't think it brings anything useful in the HMI department. Hardware requirements are steeper to run a similar project. I don't think you'd be painting yourself into a corner going with XP. That said, I believe more HMI vendors now support Vista than don't.

John Soltesz said:
You can still get XP machines. We just got a few for a project from Stealth http://www.stealthcomputer.com/ I believe if you order from Dell business PC you can get XP. I am sure there are other industrial type PC suppliers that still sell XP & Win2k boxes. CTC even has DOS based machines http://www.ctcusa.com/. This will keep your options open. From what I hear MS will be supporting XP for a longer than expected time.
Our company (end user) is not planning on going to Vista on the business PC's until we have to.

Pretty Slick

Thanks guys - The stealth web site is pretty much what I needed. in addition to the PCs, I've been looking for one of those rubberized keyboards for another application but forgot where to get it.

Just ordered 3 boxes with XP Pro the other day for a job. I think Citect runs on Vista.

Even when Microsoft stops selling XP they will still support it for a period of time. Last I heard EOL for XP was 2014. They just stopped supporting Win98 about 1.5 years ago.

OG

I haven't found that on any official channels, but blog entries seem to support that XP support date (2014).

BobB - Rockwell is the only vendor that I know of that explicitly doesn't support Vista yet. In addition to Citect - Wonderware, Inductive Automation, and Iconics support Vista. According to this, Siemens doesn't support Vista with WinCC 6.x, but the post implies that they will with 7.x - I'm not sure about their other products.

My advice - stick with XP.

Operaghost said:
Even when Microsoft stops selling XP they will still support it for a period of time. Last I heard EOL for XP was 2014. They just stopped supporting Win98 about 1.5 years ago.

OG

BobB said:
Just ordered 3 boxes with XP Pro the other day for a job. I think Citect runs on Vista.

Citect will run on Vista but not officially supported yet, its the next version that will support it fully i think.

mcafone said:
Thanks guys - The stealth web site is pretty much what I needed. in addition to the PCs, I've been looking for one of those rubberized keyboards for another application but forgot where to get it.
I have been using these for at least a decade. http://www.ikey.com/
They are not cheap but work well on our casting shop floor covered with graphite and copper dust.