SLC 5/05 and RSView32 Tag Update Problem

Foxhat

I'm having problems with an RSView32 (ver 6.50.07) database connected to a SLC 5/05 controller via RSLinx Professional (Ver 2.42.00 Build18).

The problem is that some of the binary links (in particular, when mapping directly to the binary outputs) do not update properly. I'm using OPC to communicate but I'm not sure if I should be using the Direct Driver instead in the Node Configuration of RSView32. Does it make a difference if in the RSView32 tag database if the address to the output is mapped as O:5/10 or O:5.10?

Cheers

Foxhat said:
I'm having problems with an RSView32 (ver 6.50.07) database connected to a SLC 5/05 controller via RSLinx Professional (Ver 2.42.00 Build18).

The problem is that some of the binary links (in particular, when mapping directly to the binary outputs) do not update properly. I'm using OPC to communicate but I'm not sure if I should be using the Direct Driver instead in the Node Configuration of RSView32. Does it make a difference if in the RSView32 tag database if the address to the output is mapped as O:5/10 or O:5.10?

Cheers

I've always used the Direct Drivers with RSView32 and AB PLCs...works well. As for your I/O examples, O:5.10 is not a bit level address. If you have your I/O address display setup for slot/bit it would be O:5/10. If it were slot.word/bit, it would be O:5.0/10. Either of these would be correct for RSView32 (regardless of how you are displaying them in your RSLogix500 project), but O:5.10 would not be.

Thanks for the reply robertmee

I do see the difference you are talking about. I'm used to setting up communications with RSLogix 5000 controllers and RSView32 so this is why I chose OPC instead of the direct driver approach.

In RSLinx under EDIT, COPY DDE/OPC LINK, I can browse the controller and the link comes up like the attached bmp file. This is why I structured the tag like that. I will try your suggestion and see what happens.

Thanks.

Your OPC is just showing the word level. So it is showing (in your example) O:1.0, O:4.0 and O:5.0. But each of those contain 16 bits to the bit level so something like O:1.0/0, O:1.0/1, O:1.0/2.....

The issue becomes what does the OPC link expect as the bit delimeter. Hopefully it is the slash like I showed above and not something funky like O:1.0[0]. Not having used the RSLinx OPC for RSView32 I couldn't say for sure. But I would try the slash first.

I understand about words and bits of words. The attached bmp file on the right window contains

O:1.0 - Output module #1
O:4.0 - Output module #4
O:5.0 - Output module #5

The 1,4 and 5 are the BO modules as they appear in the rack so it wouldn't the the tags be...

O:1.0 O:1.1 O:1.2 ... O:1.15
O:4.0 O:4.1 O:4.2 ... O:4.15
O:5.0 O:5.1 O:5.2 ... O:5.15

Sorry to drag this out but I want to be sure before I make changes here since I don't have the controller on my desk.

The '0' after the period in the address is the WORD not the bit. A bit reference would be added AFTER the reference you see.

These references would access sucessive WORDS on these modules (assuming they exist).

Foxhat said:
I understand about words and bits of words. The attached bmp file on the right window contains

O:1.0 - Output module #1
O:4.0 - Output module #4
O:5.0 - Output module #5

The 1,4 and 5 are the BO modules as they appear in the rack so it wouldn't the the tags be...

Sorry to drag this out but I want to be sure before I make changes here since I don't have the controller on my desk.

No....

O:1.0, O:1.1 O:1.2 ... O:1.15 would be 16 words on slot 1. If you think in terms of a 16 bit Output module in slot 1, then that module only has one word associated with it and the addresses would be O:1.0/0, O:1.0/1, O:1.0/2 ... O:1.0/15

BUT, slot 1 could have a Remote I/O scanner card in it talking to an 8 slot rack. Each slot (in single slot addressing) of the 8 slot rack is one word. Let's say you have 8 16 bit output modules in that remote rack. So, to access that I/O it would be:

O:1.0/0 to O:1.0/15 (for slot 0 of the 8 slot remote rack)
O:1.1/0 to O:1.0/15 (for slot 1 of the 8 slot remote rack)
etc.

If you could get online with the SLC and pull up the output data table (O0) it would probably make it very clear.

Last edited:
I'm still not seeing what you mean. The bmp below is for my outputs and they match my tag structure.

O:1/8 on the attachment is referencing Output Module #1 Channel #8

Am I missing something here?

This is lifted from RSLogix 500 Help files.

500help.JPG

If the module in the first slot (O:1) had more than 1 word they would be:

O:1.0
O:1.1
O:1.2 etc

There are TWO ways to reference bits in this module. This has already been covered by ROBERTMEE but I'll repeat it.

The 'Slot/Bit' method doesn't worry about the words and groups all the accessable bits in one long chain. The very first would be:

O:1/0 (Note the slash)

The first bit in the second word would be

O:1/16 (Note there is no reference to the word)

The second method is 'Slot.Word/Bit'. In this method the WORD is explicitly noted and the BIT is limited to 0-15. The two examples above wiould now be:

O:1.0/0 and
O:1.1/0

These refer to exactly the same location. But this is in RSLogix.

The big question is - how does RSView want these references? RSViewME uses the second method.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for putting up with me and giving me the tech support. This was my first RSLogix500 program so going from RSLogix5000 to 500 makes you appreciate all that the 5000 has to offer but it's also good to know where it came from and that's why I took this project.

Great to see world wide support!

Cheers

Beware also, that the SLC's are very picky about direct HMI (well, ANY external writes) to a physical output of any sort, and may fail.

Much better would be to write to either a B or N register, and use those bits to drive the outputs in PLC logic.