Store Compactflash in A/B Controller redundancy?

ForTehNguyen

I have an online redundant L61 Controllogix PLCs. There were some updates to the configuration and I need to store it into the compact flash cards for non volatile use. However it says "nonvolatile memory not available in current redundancy state" or something along those lines. How can I load the compactflash card? I am online and deenergizing any outputs will sound a plant evac siren, very bad. Earlier I had changed the DO cards for Hold output in program mode, when I changed it to program mode the outputs deenergized and I caused a false alarm.

I tried a compact flash memory card reader but the file extension is different on a stored file, P5K, instead of ACD. So I am hesitant on renaming the file extension

thanks got it working. Kinda of silly that you have to do all this to load the nonvolatiles. Any ideas why they dont just download the configuration into both the controller and nonvolatile. I dont see why anyone would want to keep an outdated nonvolatile inside the controller and have to do this procedure to load the final config. Oh well, thanks a bunch

The nonvolatile memory card contains both the controller operating system and the user program in a binary image file.

The "save to NV" function is actually performed by the boot firmware, so the controller has to essentially stop and shutdown the operating system to burn the image to CompactFlash.

As to "why isn't that done automatically", that's probably the core of a backup/redundancy debate.